Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New challenge >

New challenge

New challenge

Old 04-05-2015, 05:17 AM

Default New challenge

I find myself faced with a series of tendon injuries and repairs for my arms. When the latest surgery allows me to use my arm again I want to remove or lessen the strain of some quilting tasks. A got a combo quilt/embroidery machine so I can machine quilt some of the quilts.
Now I am looking for ways to lessen the strain of cutting. That was a rough tasks after the last surgery. I am considering a cutting machine but money is a big factor. I'm considering the cameo silhouette or the brothers scann cut. I like the idea of no expensive dies to buy. What do you think?
Any ideas to lessen the strain would be most appreciated. I quilt for relaxation and fun!
Old 04-05-2015, 06:01 AM
Power Poster

Some that have faced challenges have arranged for a trade .... someone cuts for you in exchange for something you can do for them. And that does not necessarily need to be quilt-related. Just so long as the two of you are happy with the trade, then all will be good!
Old 04-05-2015, 06:56 AM
Power Poster

The two machines you mentioned are great, especially for applique. They may not be a good choice for cutting an entire quilt, however. You can only cut one layer at a time. Make sure you read lots of info about them and watch you tube videos before making a decision.
You can also try ergonomic rotary cutters, such as the Martelli.
I really think QuiltE has a great idea of exchanging cutting services.
you can also buy laser pre cut kits on John Flynn's website:
http://flynnquilt.danemcoweb.com/sho.../pre-cut-kits/

Last edited by PaperPrincess; 04-05-2015 at 06:59 AM.
Old 04-05-2015, 07:12 AM
Power Poster

Another thought ...
Ask at your LQS(s) or Guild(s)... some will custom cut and kit up individual projects for you.
Of course, for a fee, but it does help meet a challenge.
Old 04-05-2015, 07:25 AM
Power Poster

My friend bought and then sold her Brothers Scan and Cut. Unless you are doing a lot of applique, I just don't think it works as well as her new AccuCut. Not sure what the electrical one is called. Make sure to see a demo done because it is a lot of money to invest. I would HOPE that a family member or friend could help you with the cutting.
Old 04-05-2015, 08:50 AM

Default Thanks

Originally Posted by laurac View Post
I find myself faced with a series of tendon injuries and repairs for my arms. When the latest surgery allows me to use my arm again I want to remove or lessen the strain of some quilting tasks. A got a combo quilt/embroidery machine so I can machine quilt some of the quilts.
Now I am looking for ways to lessen the strain of cutting. That was a rough tasks after the last surgery. I am considering a cutting machine but money is a big factor. I'm considering the cameo silhouette or the brothers scann cut. I like the idea of no expensive dies to buy. What do you think?
Any ideas to lessen the strain would be most appreciated. I quilt for relaxation and fun!
I was afraid they were more craft or applique friendly. I'll do some more research and see if I can think of a friend who might work something out with me.
Old 04-05-2015, 09:09 AM

For strips, regular blocks, I can't say enough for the ruler/rotary cutter combo from Fiskars. It is a 6 x24" ruler with cutter, all one piece. It cost about $24 with a Joann 60% coupon. ($60 regular price). You barely touch on the cutter as you pull or push it (2 layers) and I have cut through 8 layers before. Don't know how I lived without it!!
Old 04-05-2015, 02:33 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MA_iHl2Qa-g
Here is a video of the product yngldy wrote about.
Old 04-05-2015, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by juneayerza View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MA_iHl2Qa-g
Here is a video of the product yngldy wrote about.
Thanks, both juneayerza and yngldy. That's a reasonably priced cutter and looks like it would be easy to teach to a family member being coerced to cut for me IF the tendon problems don't get under control. Looks like it will create lots less stress holding and cutting. Thanks!
Old 04-05-2015, 09:38 PM

Here is another video to watch. To me, since you don't have to grip it, it might cause less strain on tendons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=um_VB4q4ywI