Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
more epp questions >

more epp questions

more epp questions

Old 04-12-2015, 06:39 PM

Default more epp questions

Hi
I just had a couple of epp questions I felt sure I could get answered here! First of all, how many of you leave your basting stitches in, never take them out? Second, is there a way to piece the hexagons (or whatever shape) w/out having to stop and start a new piece of thread each time? In other words, can I cut a longish piece of thread and baste several hexies, with space between, before knotting off? Hope that makes sense. I feel like I spend a lot of time stopping, knotting, cutting the thread, and starting the next hexie, maybe I am just being a crybaby, lol. I am just wondering what little short cuts some of you may have come up with.

OK, maybe that is all the questions I have right now. I have read a lot of the older posts on epp but just felt my questions were not answered.

Thanks!
Old 04-12-2015, 07:21 PM

With respect to basting...I baste all the way around the shape then knot off and start the next piece. My basting is very 'crude'...it just needs to hold the fabric to the paper. Glue can also be used for this although I have not done this.

As to long pieces of thread...when attaching the various basted pieces, I keep going for as long as my design and/or thread lasts.

Two different elements in my opinion. Maybe I am misunderstanding your question but this is my take.
Old 04-12-2015, 07:48 PM
Power Poster

I do not stitch/baste through my papers, so I never have to remove my basting. Sometimes I use starch or a washable glue stick for basting. Traditional Primitives has a good tutorial on basting with starch.
I tend to use a fairly long thread and stitch as much as I can, if you are talking about actually putting the pieces together. I sew as many pieces, sides as can be put together, I do not leave any gap of thread between pieces, I do tend to knot at each intersection- just to keep the points tight. If you are talking about while basting I do each Hexie separately.
Old 04-13-2015, 03:22 AM

Thanks, and I was talking about while basting the hexies, sorry for not making that clear. I have not gotten to the stage of putting them together yet. I have basted some w/the threads on the top of the hexie, which I know will have to come out, but recently started doing it in the back only but I was not sure if those had to be removed...some tutorials mention that step (I think it was Paperpieces that said to remove them) but many don't so I was not sure.

As for using glue, how do you remove your papers? Is the glue light enough that they still come off easily or do you have to wet them? Seems like I have read that in times past ladies would sometimes leave the papers in, is that correct and does anyone do that now?

Thanks again, and if anyone has any more tips or thoughts I would be glad to "hear"them.
Old 04-13-2015, 03:55 AM
Power Poster

I use Elmer's Washable Glue Stick for basting. I put a light swipe around the paper edges and fold the fabric over. The papers pull out just fine. I use hex shape fabric, not squares.
Old 04-13-2015, 05:36 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I use Elmer's Washable Glue Stick for basting. I put a light swipe around the paper edges and fold the fabric over. The papers pull out just fine. I use hex shape fabric, not squares.
I agree but don't press with an iron otherwise it will set the glue.
Old 04-13-2015, 06:04 AM

I use sewline glue stick...it is refillable..actually F&P glue stick and refills are the same.......the glue releases easily and does not leave a residue... Regarding thread basting.....you can baste either thru the paper or just the back, but make sure you secure the corners well....you can also not do any knots...just thread the needle with oh, say 6 needles....get a good length of thread with one of those needles...do a back stitch at the beginning, baste around..then back stitch at the end or leave a tail, cut, put that needle on a pincushion, reach for next needle and hex and repeat......or like I did on my previous GFG...I machine basted each rosette keeping that group together.....I did the freezer paper process with that one. As far as sewing together.....I don't whipstitch, but rather hold two side by side, catch a few threads on each one and sew together that way. I knot just before corners and once on center...just on case..and I find I don't see any thread on front that way...saw someone, somewhere on net do it that way.....like piecing one has to find what works best for them.....watch the tutes available and try until you find the best for you..

Btw...I have tried the way of doing hexies beginning with circles.....would work for mug rugs, tablerunners, coverlets......
Old 04-13-2015, 06:20 AM

Thanks so much everyone, gives me lots of ideas and ways to do epp so I can find what I like best.

That is why I like asking questions here, you get many different answers that allow you to try different methods to find what is right for you.

Now to go put some ideas to practice!!!

BTW,Geri B...when you say "hold two side by side" do you mean just the edges, not the right sides of the hexies? I saw a tutorial that was done that way and thought I might try that. The few I have pieced by holding the hexies RST I always see the thread on the front. I have not tried the ladder stitch yet though, so I want to try that too.

Thanks!
Old 04-13-2015, 06:35 AM
Power Poster

When I work on my hexies and baste with thread, I have a few needle and thread ready to go and same with connecting them. I prep about 6 needles and thread is about length of my arm. That way I can pick up where I left off. When I sew the hexies together, I do a ladder stitch. I also mark the size of my hexies on the template. I like to use freezer paper for templates, about 3 layers. You can get a lot of templates cut on 3 sheets of 18x18" paper.
Old 04-13-2015, 06:46 AM

When I baste, I don't knot at the end of stitching. I simply cut a long--maybe 2 inches--piece of thread and remove it when I'm finished sewing the hexies together. Also I do not baste through the paper templates since I reuse them. I have a bunch of hexies made but only a few sewn together. I think I have too many irons in the fire, and have a hard time finishing anything. I usually save the hexies for a road trip to keep my hands busy.
Sue