Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Celtic Knot >

Celtic Knot

Celtic Knot

Old 04-19-2015, 04:11 AM

Default Celtic Knot

I just know somebody will help me on this forum,do I make the bias binding for celtic knot in one long strip or several short ones, also is there a tutorial to show how its done. thanks.
Old 04-19-2015, 04:12 AM
Power Poster

I haven't done one yet but I would make one real long and cut the size that you need as you stitch it in place. Hope that makes sense.
Old 04-19-2015, 04:31 AM
Power Poster

Make a full size drawing of your design. Longer pieces need fewer joins but if you plan correctly they can go under the line crossovers. If the background fabric is light, you can put your drawing underneath to trace and then place the strips. If you are using dark fabric you will need to transfer the design plan to the surface of your fabric.
Old 04-19-2015, 05:26 AM

I try to avoid seaming in the bias binding....so i would make the strips as long as i could given the fabric i was using...and follow Tartan's advice....shorter pieces where the ends can be hidden as the pattern passes under another strip.
Good luck....i have seen a few Celtic knot quilts and they can be so stunning. I have a copy of the Book of Kells - and i spend time looking at the pictures and dreaming about the quilt i'd like to make some day.
Old 04-20-2015, 05:42 AM

I have a book by BH&G and it shows how to make a continuous binding. I am sure you can find instructions on line. It takes a lot less fabric than you would think and the binding goes on so easily it is how I do most all bindings now.
Old 04-20-2015, 02:16 PM

You stick the joins under the over pattern. Took a class for the Celtic Heart, and we cut strips so they ended up around 3/8 when 1/4 inch seam was used to stitch strips right side up into a tube. Trimmed the seam close and used a bias bar to iron the seam to the underside, then glued, pinned basted, the design in place to stitch it down. We put the joins under an intersection. I've got the instructions.
Old 04-20-2015, 05:36 PM

Took a class from my LQS many years back. I then appliquéd 20 blocks with different Celtic knots. At the time I made 3/8" bias "stem" strips tubes from 1/2 yard cuts. Now as I know how to make continuous bias I might do it differently. I sewed them down following a traced pattern, with white "tracing paper" onto black background. New strips were adding starting underneath as u crossed under a knot. Just start so that you are stitching on the inner curves 1st.
I still need to finish this quilt. I have an idea in my head just need to get it out!
Old 04-20-2015, 09:54 PM

Thank you all so much, I just knew I would get help from you,am so grateful. Now armed with all your knowledge I shall proceed, fingers crossed. Thank you all once again.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:42 PM

The design is marked on your fabric first. Then begin in the centre with an under end and continue round. Cut the sections to go under as you go. This was the method I was taught but personally I can't see why you need to cut just place under or over levels.

tack in place is better than pins..
Old 04-21-2015, 01:03 PM

Thanks DottyMo, I can't understand why you have to cut them,just to join it again,am determined to try it and finish.