Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
planning sqs for mondo bag ? >

planning sqs for mondo bag ?

planning sqs for mondo bag ?

Old 05-29-2015, 02:04 PM

Default planning sqs for mondo bag ?

do you make all 4 grids the same design? so as not to get the same sqs touching?
I can`t envision the e result. will probably have more ?, as the instructions are not great
Thanks Gale
Old 05-29-2015, 04:01 PM

I made one several months ago. As I recall, I just laid them out in a somewhat random order and didn't worry about them touching.
Old 05-29-2015, 05:58 PM

It's almost impossible to plan for none of the same squares to touch. I made one and planned the squares out in diagonal rows of the same color, almost a rainbow effect. When it was all said and done the rows were vertical, not the look I was going for. It still came out nice though! No one will pay attention if you have a few of the same touching, it's such a busy design. Good luck! :-)
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 05-29-2015, 06:54 PM

Had a great time with my daughter making this bag. We did spend some time on the planning of squares. We tried to be random and not have the same color close to another square just like it. Here's a post from last year. But if you look for it, we missed one and it still looks great.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...ml#post6728934
Old 05-30-2015, 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by Sheri.a View Post
Had a great time with my daughter making this bag. We did spend some time on the planning of squares. We tried to be random and not have the same color close to another square just like it. Here's a post from last year. But if you look for it, we missed one and it still looks great.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...ml#post6728934
These bags are lovely!
Old 05-30-2015, 03:42 AM

Interesting as I have the pattern but haven't had time to make it yet. I wouldn't want the same fabrics touching at seams.
Old 05-30-2015, 04:05 AM

I have made about 15 mondo bags. (Too many to keep track of) I have arranged the squares in many ways. "Scrappy", with several different fabrics is the easiest, as you just lay them out and do not worry, having five or so fabrics you will get a design, when you are finished. The last bag I made I did a scrappy black and white but every other square was the same purple fabric. The bottom corner had to have the same color, I placed a purple square, for it to come out not touching when you sewed the four panels together. I agree, it does not matter, if two like squares are touching most of the time. My advice to you would be to make it scrappy the first couple of times until you get the idea of it, and then get picky about having a pattern. The bigger challenge for me is always on how to place a pocket inside. I have done it, but I usually choose to just leave the pocket out.
Old 05-30-2015, 06:40 AM

I make sure there are not the same two next to each other when I do each rectangle. When I sew the rectangles together, I don't worry if the same square happens to be next to each other. You would have to spend way too much time otherwise. When the bag is finished, it is not noticeable. The directions may seem hard to understand but the pictures are really helpful.
Old 05-30-2015, 08:24 AM

Thanks I won`t fret about the design then.
Gale
Old 05-30-2015, 08:45 AM
Power Poster

When this pattern first came out I took a class how to make it. I entered the Mondo bag won Grand Champion at our fair that year in the sewing dept. I used the vinyl covered fabric for the lining, new at that time too. The judge said she had never seen anything like that bag. I placed the squares in a random pattern but the way it's sewn some of the same will be next to each other. The only way to not have it that way is to use all different squares.