Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Walking Foot >

Walking Foot

Walking Foot

Old 05-31-2015, 04:32 AM

Default Walking Foot

I had posted asking about puckers in the quilt when sewing on the binding and I had a lot of great replies. One of them was to buy a walking foot. I bought one at Missouri Sewing Machine and used it the other day on a baby quilt. No puckers. I am very pleased. I didn't have to stay stitch or glue. Happiness. It worked so good. Now I am wondering about using the walking foot for just sewing things together or do I need to change to the regular foot. I can play around with it but it is so much easier to have you all tell me what you have done. Ha! Is it coming across that I might be a bit lazy? Or just in a hurry to finish up.
Old 05-31-2015, 04:40 AM
Power Poster

That is great that you found out what works for you. I tired piecing with my Bernina walking foot but it doesn't seem to work as well with just two layers of fabric.
Old 05-31-2015, 04:50 AM
Power Poster

Although I have read of folks doing so, I have tried piecing with mine and saw no advantage. Also, the up & down motion made it more difficult for me to maintain my seam allowance.
Old 05-31-2015, 05:19 AM

I do know people who use their walking foot for piecing and like it. However, for me, since the walking foot is not supposed to be run at top speed, it slows me down for straight sewing. Also, since the mechanism can wear out over time, I think that using it constantly wouldn't be advisable for me.
Old 05-31-2015, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by Daylesewblessed View Post
I do know people who use their walking foot for piecing and like it. However, for me, since the walking foot is not supposed to be run at top speed, it slows me down for straight sewing. Also, since the mechanism can wear out over time, I think that using it constantly wouldn't be advisable for me.
I agree. I see no need to use it on piecing, and it is slower, and harder for me to keep the 1/4" allowance accurate. But I always use it for quilting, bindings or anytime I am sewing with batting layer.
Old 05-31-2015, 06:04 AM

I agree too that it wouldn't be so helpful with sewing 2 layers, but for 3 layers that can shift so easy and make puckers on the back and with binding over the 3 layers it's a must. Glad it's working for you. Don't you just love when notions make you life easier? I just love notions!
Old 05-31-2015, 06:08 AM
Power Poster

One think about a walking foot. Buy the best quality one. The ones sold really cheap (unless on a good sale) cause problems, don't do the best job, and won't last long. My first walking foot I bought the cheap generic one. I thought it was okay until it broke at retreat and my table partner said to try hers. The difference was amazing. Hers costs three times what mine did but so worth it. I was lucky the quilt shop holding the retreat sold them. I bought one that very hour.
Old 05-31-2015, 02:34 PM

I use my walking foot whenever I have batting with a couple layers of fabric. Always for binding. Love that foot!
Old 05-31-2015, 03:32 PM

I use my walking foot (it is built in on my Pfaff, snaps up and down easily) all the time and it works great on any layers of fabric. Now on my Brother, since it is a separate attachment, I do take on and off. I really prefer the IDT on my Pfaff.
Old 05-31-2015, 05:04 PM

I also find it more difficult to maintain my 1/4 in. seam allowance with the bulk of the walking foot in my line of vision.

Leslie