Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bernina Aurora 430 >

Bernina Aurora 430

Bernina Aurora 430

Old 06-09-2015, 03:48 AM

Default Bernina Aurora 430

I have been coveting the Bernina Stitch Regulator since learning free motion quilting and seeing had uneven the stitches are no matter what I do. I needed to bring my mechanical 1090QE in for servicing. For some reason, these words popped out of my mouth without even thinking....."do you even get machines with the BSR turned in?" WELL.....they just got in a 430 and there was a special package that would add the BSR to it. I wasn't really expecting to add another machine but the price was so reasonable compared to the new 550, which comes with all the bells and whistles, that I just couldn't pass it up.

Is there anyone on the list with this machine that could offer tips, lessons learned, etc.? I don't go for my one on one training till next week.

Thanks, Barb
Old 06-09-2015, 04:14 AM

There's a bit of a learning curve when it comes to use of the alphabet. if that's something you plan to do, take notes - the manual doesn't explain that so well. There are several steps involved. Apart from that, the machine is very intuitive. The BSR is loved by many and others don't use it. I read in a few places that the BSR should be calibrated to the machine. this was news to me but it might be something to ask when you go for your lesson. Have fun with your new machine!
Old 06-09-2015, 04:24 AM
Power Poster

From what I understand, there is a learning curve for this device. I have an older Bernina 1530. It takes time but it is just matching the same speed on your Bernina duplicating the way that the fabric moves when the feed dogs are engaged. When I started learning in the 90s, I found it easier to follow a line. Another problem quilters have is not looking an inch or so ahead to where they want to go. So many newbie just look at where the needle is and you need to look ahead to where you want to go. I hope this new gadget helps you. Good Luck
Old 06-09-2015, 04:31 AM
Power Poster

I had the dealer turn off the bell on mine right away. I found the sound that is upposed to alert you to change your speed was just annoying. The BSR does help with stitch regulation but it doesn't guarantee perfect stitches. Definitely take the classes to get used to your new machine.
Old 06-09-2015, 05:24 AM
Power Poster

I bought the 440 soon after I started quilting, and I used the BSR for many quilts. (I now quilt on a longarm.) The sound Tartan mentions is obnoxious, but it alerts you that you are moving the fabric too fast, and the sewing machine motor can't keep up, so your stitches will be too long. It's supposed to annoy you enough so that you slow down. I thought the BSR did a great job in keeping the stitching more even than I would have managed without it. I don't think any stitch regulator is perfect - although I've been told the lightning stitch upgrade on the Innova comes very close - but I don't think most of us are looking for perfection, just for a nice even stitch.

One thing to ask the dealer is whether your BSR has the latest updates from Bernina. I wasn't aware at first that the BSR should come along with the machine for servicing so it can be updated. Have fun with your new toy.
Old 06-09-2015, 09:02 AM

I have a 440 with the BSR and have used it for many quilts. Not to good quilting on machine when it is in sewing table but did several up to queen size with my 440 on my Bernina quilt frame. Now I quilt on frame with 710 so 440 is exclusively used for piecing and embroidery. Take BSR with you to guide classes and ask if it has been updated. Also take notes at guide class so you will have them to refer back to when you are home and wondering what the difference is between BSR 1 and BSR 2!
Old 06-09-2015, 09:34 AM

The 440 only goes about 850 stitches per minute, so it's easy to outrun the BSR. If you adjust the stitch length to a smaller number, you can go a bit faster, and get a nicer stitch.
Old 06-09-2015, 11:36 AM

I love using my BSR. Definitely bring it to class with you, there are 2 different modes that you can use with it. Best thing is to play with it. One thing that I have learned is that it stops stitching if you go too close to the edge of your fabric, this is usually not an issue as when I sandwich my quilt I have several inches of batting and backing past the quilt top. However when I make practice sandwiches up I always trim the 3 layers evenly, so it can be annoying if I forget and go too close to the sides when I'm practicing a new design.
Old 06-09-2015, 12:48 PM

I have the 430 and the 440. (Long story, short, I inherited the 430.) I love the BSR but there is a learning curve. It is a great machine for piecing, and wonderful for applique. TIP: If you are having trouble with the tension when free motion quilting, thread the bobbin thread into the hole that is at the tip of the bobbin case, which is designed for embroidery. It helps get the tension right. Also, BSR 1 is controlled by the blue button. BSR 2 begins when you start moving the fabric and stops when you stop.
Old 06-10-2015, 07:17 PM

I agree with everyone on the learning curve for stitch regulators, don't have bernina but have one and also find it easy to outrun the motor and if you do the stitches won't look right as on said above. I do agree with classes as I wish they had one for mine since it does have quite a learning curve. I haven't got the hang of mine and so far my stitches look better without.