Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pfaff Grand Quilter >

Pfaff Grand Quilter

Pfaff Grand Quilter

Old 06-02-2015, 03:37 AM

Default Pfaff Grand Quilter

I have a Grand Quilter that I only use for free motion quilting. I love it and only use it rarely. I oiled it for upcoming use and now it is making a loud noise while sewing. Why? Please help. Thank you. mollyquilt, new to quilting board.
Old 06-02-2015, 05:25 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from Ontario, Canada. Look in your manual to see if your machine CAN be oiled. I hope someone who has your machine can help.
Old 06-02-2015, 08:36 AM

I'm sure you've spent a lot of money for your Pfaff and advise calling a dealer or getting "professional" help for it! Perhaps something got dropped into it? Like a pin?

Good luck!
Old 06-02-2015, 08:58 AM
Power Poster

Did you take the bobbin case out in order to clean and oil? If so, my best guess is that you did not re-seat the bobbin case correctly. That's what I would check first.
Old 06-02-2015, 09:19 AM

Is it stitching OK? I have a Pfaff 18x8 and it is a loud machine. If mine is louder than normal, it is usually stitching badly on the back. If not, I still rethread the top and the bobbin and clean the bobbin very well. Sometimes this helps. Once mine made a terrible noise and I discovered that I had not lowered the foot...lol. I thought I had broke it. Hopefully, it is something simple. Good luck
Old 06-02-2015, 12:03 PM

Turn upside down on a plank in center of machine with each end of plank resting on two chairs and take the botom off and oil some parts in there but be sure to take the plastic piece off and put some grease o n those gears. Those gears may be dry of grease. I hope that helps.
Old 06-02-2015, 03:41 PM
KLO

These machines do drink the oil so maybe it just needs a bit more than you gave it since had not been used for a while. Did you run it for very long? If not, maybe run it slowly a bit more to make sure the oil has gotten down into all the areas it needs to. And yes, check the bobbin area for debris and to make sure it is oiled there. Hope this works it's way out to running more quietly although as patmadrid mention, they are not real quiet machines but I am assuming that this is louder than it ever was when you used it before so abnormal for your machine.
Old 06-03-2015, 03:37 AM

I have that machine too, and when it starts making a "loud whacking" noise, if I change the needle that usually will quieten it down. Hope this will help you, and welcome to the board.
Old 06-04-2015, 07:49 AM

Try to make sure there is no lint in the bobin case. It will make them rattle.My friend has a Bernina and she finally just sat down with it and oiled everything that moved at all and it is no longer making that rattle. Good luck with it, it is a great machine.
Old 06-04-2015, 01:48 PM
Power Poster

Welcome from So CA. Hope you are able to resolve you problem.