Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Paducah or AQS Chattanooga show? >

Paducah or AQS Chattanooga show?

Paducah or AQS Chattanooga show?

Old 06-03-2015, 05:04 AM

Default Paducah or AQS Chattanooga show?

I will be vacationing for a week in September near the Smokies Mountains inPigeon Forge, TN. I got my husband to agree to go to Paducah via Nashville but now I see there is an AQS quilt show in Chattanooga. Should I go there rather than Paducah?
Old 06-03-2015, 07:20 AM

If you have never been to an AQS show I would go to the one in Chatanooga if the other choice was just to go to Paducah to shop. Don't get me wrong...Paducah is a great place to visit. Especially during the quilt show in April. I live close by and things really get ramped up for that week of the show. Afterwards things quiet down which isn't a bad thing. Hancock's is just the most wonderful place to shop for fabric especially before and after the show. During the show it is so crowded you cannot think straight. The downtown area is very quaint, quiet and an enjoyable place to browse.
I said earlier that I would choose the show in Chat because if you have never been to a show it is just a great experience. But if you have a pattern and are on a mission to find fabric I would go to Paducah's Hancock's. This store is unlike any other fabric store, and there are benches and seats for hubby's to sit and read or nap while you're shopping. I can spend hours in there. The show would be crowded...Paducah, not. Finding restaurants a challenge with crowds, Paducah not. Since you're traveling with your DH I would have to venture a guess that he would like Paducah more. Lots of good restaurants downtown along the cobblestone streets. Be sure to go to the Quilter's Museum and walk along the riverfront to see the murals. I think I just changed my own mind.
Old 06-03-2015, 07:47 AM
Power Poster

I would go to both. Better then saying years from now I should have gone when I had the chance, wouldn't have hurt anything. Paducah has the quilt museum which is wonderful and Quilt in A Day shop, Paperpieces Shop, Hancocks of Paducah, and several quilt shops. I am not a fan of murals but many do like them. A quilt show is so inspiring and seeing everything you could possible want in one place is amazing. I love to spend time at the machine vendors and try the new machines and long arms, watch all the demos, and see the new quilt trends.
Old 06-03-2015, 07:56 AM
Power Poster

As an FYI there is also an AQS Show in Syracuse NY this year running 7/28-8/1 (I may be wrong on the start date)

I would not pass up the opportunity to go to Paducah. There are major AQS shows every year at numerous locations so you can always attend one of those down the road.
Old 06-03-2015, 10:19 AM

I agree. I recently went to Paducah for the event. I would rather visit during non-show months. I enjoy the smaller AQS venues as there is more focus on quilting (rather than having additional non-quilting booths). Chattanooga has interesting places to visit for you and your DH. www.chattanoogafun.com and www.tnvacation.com/ If you have time, Asheville, NC is a really nice place to visit for traditional crafts and the Biltmore and Biltmore Gardens.

http://www.southernhighlandguild.org...craft-shop.php has shops along the Blue Ridge Parkway
Old 06-04-2015, 06:42 AM

If you choose the Paducah route you might consider staying out at Lake Barkley. Really pretty out there...about a 20 minute drive to Paducah on Hwy 24.
Old 06-04-2015, 07:01 AM

Paducah also has the Quilt Museum. I think this is a tough decision and you will like either one
Old 06-04-2015, 01:34 PM

Paducah is loverly in September I am told. Right on the Ohio River. Hancock's of Paducah is a very dangerous store. And no, I did not sit on the bench while the GF was shopping. I shipped three boxes of fabric back to California. There are a couple of other good stores with VERY knowledgeable people in Paducah.
Nashville is a short distance away, the home of the Hermitage, Andrew Jackson's plantation Home. A real requirement to see if there is a history buff in the house. Lots of good music there too.
A show is a show is a show. I generally get my fill at the Pacific Rim show every year in Santa Clara (three miles from my house). I would go to Padukaville. tim in san jose
Old 06-05-2015, 01:02 PM

Thanks to all who replied. I think Paducah wins. I went to the AQS show in Lancaster in March (great!) and May consider the AQS show in Syracuse or the Hershey show in July. We are history buffs and love scenic drives so thanks for the heads up. Not that much a country music fan but will have to check out Nashville. Who knows. May become one.