Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
applique >

applique

applique

Old 06-04-2015, 07:49 AM

Default applique

I'm thinking that I'd like to hand sew these simple round appliques. I'm also thinking it would be easier to do before I sew these strips together?[ATTACH=CONFIG]521524[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 20150604_054005_resized_1.jpg  
Old 06-04-2015, 08:24 AM

I agree it would be easier before you sew the strips - whether you are doing it by hand or machine.
Old 06-04-2015, 08:29 AM
Power Poster

It depends on how fray proof the edges of your white fabric is. It looks like the circle will be fairly close to the edges and if the edge of the square frays out you might be in trouble. If the fabric square edges are good, then yes it will be easier to appliqué by hand while in strips. UNLESS you like to hand appliqué with a no slip hoop like I do and then I would put the top together and then appliqué.
Old 06-04-2015, 11:55 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
...UNLESS you like to hand appliqué with a no slip hoop like I do ....
Tartan, can you show us your non-slip hoop or give us a link where we can see it? Thx
Old 06-04-2015, 11:59 AM
Power Poster

I would sew the strips together. You may have to trim the circles down a tad. Anxious to see the finished look.
Old 06-04-2015, 12:50 PM
Power Poster

Are you going to hand or machine the appliques???
Old 06-04-2015, 01:09 PM
Power Poster

This is a picture of my no slip embroidery hoop. I use it for Redwork and for appliqué. Most people don't need a hoop for hand appliqué but if I don't hoop both my appliqué and Redwork I get a wrinkled background fabric. I tried to show that the hoops have a groove on the outside ring and a bump on the inside hoop that locks the fabric in place when they are together. I can't remember the company but I believe the name is no slip or non slip embroidery hoop.[ATTACH=CONFIG]521537[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 06-04-2015, 01:51 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
This is a picture of my no slip embroidery hoop. I use it for Redwork and for appliqué. Most people don't need a hoop for hand appliqué but if I don't hoop both my appliqué and Redwork I get a wrinkled background fabric. I tried to show that the hoops have a groove on the outside ring and a bump on the inside hoop that locks the fabric in place when they are together. I can't remember the company but I believe the name is no slip or non slip embroidery hoop.[ATTACH=CONFIG]521537[/ATTACH]
thanks so much... looks very sturdy
Old 06-05-2015, 08:57 AM

Are you going to raw edge applique the circles or do you want a finished edge? If you want a finished edge, I suggest you use Karen Kay Buckley's Perfect Circles. If you don't already have the Perfect Circles, you can use the technique by using a coin, mylar or cardboard circle as a template. The method is much like making yo-yos. Choose the size circle template you want and place on wrong side of fabric. Trace the template, then cut the fabric at least 1/4" -3/8" larger than the traced circle. Stitch a running stitch along the outside edge of the fabric circle and gather slightly. I use hand-quilting or buttonhole thread, as it is thicker. 50 wt thread breaks too easily. Put the template back into the gathered circle and pull the thread taut, gathering the fabric tightly around the template. Do not knot the thread. Dampen the edges of the circle with spray starch, then press the edges with a medium hot iron. Make sure the starch is completely dry and let the circle cool, then gently loosen the gathering thread and remove the template. Pull the gathering thread back and press the circle. Make sure the circle does not have any puckers around the edges.

I started using coins as my templates, since they can take the starch and heat better than cardboard, then found the mylar template material. But the edges always had little bumps from the scissors as I was cutting the templates out. I was more than pleased when KKB came out with the Perfect Circles, as they are slightly thicker than mylar and the edges are smooth.
Old 06-05-2015, 03:05 PM

I'd like to hand sew the appliques, I can sit by the koi pond in the hot part of the day.