Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pressing vs. Ironing >

Pressing vs. Ironing

Pressing vs. Ironing

Old 06-10-2015, 06:01 AM

Default Pressing vs. Ironing

I have always heard that you should PRESS seams and blocks....that ironing tends to distort the fabric.
I have watched lots of quilting videos and they all seem to iron. Just this morning I watched Jenny Doan video and she tends to iron the blocks. Sometimes, she uses a spurt of steam....thought that was a no-no too, although I use a quick spray when needed.
I always press blocks.
What are your thoughts about this? Is it the time constraint when doing a video?
Thanks.
Old 06-10-2015, 06:34 AM
Power Poster

​I iron and steam my fabric before piecing. After piecing, I press.
Old 06-10-2015, 07:40 AM

I iron, steam and spray my (pre-washed) fabric before cutting. During and after piecing, I steam press to set the seams because the up/down motion is faster, but generally iron after that's done.

'Press don't iron' is a rule I choose to ignore because doing so works well for me. It has never distorted anything, not even bias edges since once they are seamed they don't stretch. Possible contributory reasons might be the hot water pre-washed fabric and on-grain cutting/piecing/ironing.
Old 06-10-2015, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by tapper View Post
I have always heard that you should PRESS seams and blocks....that ironing tends to distort the fabric.
I have watched lots of quilting videos and they all seem to iron. Just this morning I watched Jenny Doan video and she tends to iron the blocks. Sometimes, she uses a spurt of steam....thought that was a no-no too, although I use a quick spray when needed.
I always press blocks.
What are your thoughts about this? Is it the time constraint when doing a video?
Thanks.
I've wondered about that too....maybe it's a "do as I say and not as I do" thing?

Like most everything in quilting, do what gives you the best results...
Old 06-10-2015, 07:48 AM

Quite honestly I don't know the difference between the two. I heavy starch my fabrics before cutting, so actually I have very little issues with stretch
Old 06-10-2015, 07:51 AM
Power Poster

I believe (works for me) if when putting the iron to the fabric, if you pull the fabric up a bit to really get the wrinkle out then you will distort it. You can check for distortion when you true it up. As long as the fabric doesn't move, I see no way it can be distorted.
Old 06-10-2015, 08:24 AM

It could be because of the time constraints of the video, or because she's just the type who wants to get on with it and ironing is quicker. She doesn't strike me as someone overly preoccupied with rules or tradition.

I get distortion when I iron, so I stick to pressing my blocks. I iron along the length of grain when preparing my fabric for cutting.
Old 06-10-2015, 11:08 AM

I love watching Jenny because her enthusiasm is infectious, but her techniques aren't always optimum. She definitely irons rather than pressing. I could not get good results that way. I always set my seams first with a quick press, then press again with the seam going the right way.

I think it's just a difference in the style of quilter. She's more down and dirty and I put more importance on taking the time to learn the fundamentals. One way is not better than the other way; whichever way gives you more enjoyment is the right way.
Old 06-10-2015, 11:29 AM

Oh right on! I have seen very few videos but every one, including the Ricky-Timms and what's her name showing you how to do the folded flying geese...they all seem to let the iron swoop!

I finger press first when ironing the join between two pieces while building a block, because it gives me better accuracy when I lay the iron on it, but once it is assembled I very carefully carefully iron. I would never steam until I have an assembly of a big block or rows and I prefer that the fabric not be starched stiff - I like to get the feel of it and work with it, learn how to get it to do what I want without stiffener. But I don't pre-wash - !
Old 06-10-2015, 03:58 PM

I have notice that too on Jenny's tutorial videos and wondered about it. I try to press, but often slip back into old habits and iron!