Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Preventing shadowing from back of quilt >

Preventing shadowing from back of quilt

Preventing shadowing from back of quilt

Old 06-11-2015, 05:17 PM

Default Preventing shadowing from back of quilt

I have quilt top that I just finished - white background, with bright colours. I wanted to use some of the leftover bits on the back of the quilt, but it looks like if I do that, the colours from the back are going to show through on the front, even with white batting in place between the top and back. Does anyone have suggestions for preventing this? Should I try layering a plain piece of white fabric with the batting to make it more opaque? Or do I have to give up my plan and make a plain white back for this quilt?
Old 06-11-2015, 07:08 PM

I think your idea of layering a plain piece of fabric with the batting would work....or maybe you could just "line" the leftover bits and not the whole back? I like to use white too, but I have never had the back shadow to the front. Maybe you need to change batting? Warm and Natural is what I use, in case that helps.

Or maybe two layers of batting...fluffier and wouldn't show thorough?? Just sending out ideas here.

Dina
Old 06-11-2015, 07:33 PM

When I made my GFG quilt I used a fabric that had little purple flowers on it. When you held up the quilt you could see thru it in the white path but when you put it down on the bed you couldn't see it. So I would suggest you test it and see for yourself before adding an extra layer.
Old 06-12-2015, 03:10 AM
Power Poster

You needed to choose a lighter background. I myself wouldn't any any extra bulk to the quilt sandwich.
Old 06-12-2015, 03:32 AM
Power Poster

How are you quilting it? If doing it on a rack setup you can easily put another layer of fabric or batting. The Heron Pond quilt I recently posted ( http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...c-t265846.html had a dark navy blue batik backing and the sky had pieces that were very light. At first the client only wanted a single layer of batting but I could see the navy would shadow through so we did two layers and that solved the problem. but if you are hand quilting or FMQ on a domestic double batting will be very hard to deal with. However a layer of white fabric would hardly be noticeable, other than the extra weight.