Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Preventing thread from showing >

Preventing thread from showing

Preventing thread from showing

Old 11-25-2006, 08:56 AM

How do I keep the bobbin thread from showing on the top of the quilt when they are different colors?
Thanks!

Jeannette
Old 11-25-2006, 12:18 PM

by adjusting the the thread tension, both on the top and in the bobbin, it is tricky, that is why professional quilter's use the same thread on both the bottom and the top.
Old 11-25-2006, 01:23 PM
Boo

Jeanette, tension adjustment is indeed the key. You will need to make a sample quilt sandwich using the same weight fabric and batting that you will use in your quilt. I would suggest using a light/dark fabric, to contrast whatever thread you are using. That way you will see the results better. If you are doing free motion quilting then test using that method. Continue to change the tension adjustment until you no longer see the bobbin thread. At this point, I turn my sample over to see if all is well on the back. If you move your work too fast for the speed of the machine, you will find that the bobbin thread is too tight as it didn't have time to advance in the shuttle correctly. I make a decent size sample to practice on and get my speed and rythm down. Hope these tips were helpful. :D
Old 12-04-2006, 10:35 AM
Suz

Jeanette,

The other ladies are correct in suggesting an adjustment to the bobbin thread.

BUT, if you have a finished project and there are threads showing, take your pigma pen and color where you need to in order to hide these threads. Works for me.

Blessings, Suz
Old 12-06-2006, 05:34 AM

Yes, I do all that, including the use of the pen. But if you use an embroidery needle, size 60, the needle holes are much smaller and you cannot see a thing. I start using it while machine quilting a white on white background; although both threads where white, I could see the dark holes. If you like my tip, these needles are difficult to find so, make sure you buy more than one package when you find them.
Lucia
Old 01-25-2010, 01:54 PM

you need to adjust the tension.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Lucia
Yes, I do all that, including the use of the pen. But if you use an embroidery needle, size 60, the needle holes are much smaller and you cannot see a thing. I start using it while machine quilting a white on white background; although both threads where white, I could see the dark holes. If you like my tip, these needles are difficult to find so, make sure you buy more than one package when you find them.
Lucia
The holes should close up after you wash the quilt. At least that has been my experience.