Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Returning of fabric bought online? >

Returning of fabric bought online?

Returning of fabric bought online?

Old 06-12-2015, 04:57 AM

Default Returning of fabric bought online?

Can you return fabric bought online or anywhere else for that matter? Just cuz you don't like it perhaps.
Or it doesn't feel good?
I get if you goto the LQS. You know exactly what you're buying. You can see the color and feel it.
Old 06-12-2015, 05:18 AM
Power Poster

Check before you buy! Many online places will accept returns as long as you have not cut into it, but some do not, so familiarize yourself with the specific policies of that site before you buy.
I'm pretty sure that JoAnn's will still accept returns on uncut pieces. I know I have done so in the past, but it's been a couple years and their policy may have changed.
Old 06-12-2015, 05:28 AM

There is no information on the website about their return policy. I haven't cut the fabric, but have washed it. That's how I know it bled and also that it doesn't feel good even after washing the sizing out.
Old 06-12-2015, 05:31 AM
Power Poster

I agree with PaperPrincess. It depends on the shop. I purchased some fabric from an eBay store and when it arrived it looked like a pale comparison of what that fabric should be. (I had purchased a bit of the fabric elsewhere and was trying to find more, so I had something to compare it to.) I contacted the eBay store and instead of allowing me to return the fabric they refunded my money. I bought tons more from that store, because I knew I could count on their customer service. Usually, though, I go on the theory that I will have to accept whatever fabric I receive, and that's the penalty for buying online. The bonus is that there is a huge selection, better prices, and you can shop from your home, putting things in the cart one day and making the final decision a week later (provided your selection is still available).
Old 06-12-2015, 06:11 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sval View Post
There is no information on the website about their return policy. I haven't cut the fabric, but have washed it. That's how I know it bled and also that it doesn't feel good even after washing the sizing out.
If you are talking about a specific shop, they may not have a return policy listed, but should have contact info. Contact them directly and explain your issue.
Old 06-12-2015, 06:22 AM

I agree with previous advice--call the shop and ask about their return policy. Also, After you pay return shipping would it be worth it?
Old 06-12-2015, 07:14 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
If you are talking about a specific shop, they may not have a return policy listed, but should have contact info. Contact them directly and explain your issue.
Yes, contact them directly. Most will accept returns if fabric is damage, but I wouldn't think they would because you changed your mind. But it never hurts to ask. You will probably end up paying return shipping fees.
Old 06-12-2015, 07:21 AM
Power Poster

Often you have to scroll all the way down to the itsy bitsy print at the bottom of the page. You may also be able to Google the company/return policy. Another reason Irarely purchase on line.
Originally Posted by sval View Post
Old 06-12-2015, 07:22 AM

I would also contact them and explain the situation, it's not that you just changed your mind, it's that you are not happy with the quality of the fabric because it should tolerate washing. You may be surprised because most companies want their customers to be happy!
Old 06-12-2015, 07:36 AM

Contact them and find out!

I've rarely had issues where I needed to return online fabric purchases, but when I have contacted the companies with issues they've always fixed it right away. I think online companies are very aware of forums like this and they know we will talk if they don't treat us right!

I think I've only returned fabric to Fabric.com, once, about 2 years ago. Actually I didn't even "return" it as they told me to just keep it and sent a refund. (It was fabric that bled and faded really badly with just one wash - I emailed photos as proof. They didn't want it back.)

A lot of online shops will send swatches for free or for a nominal charge as well.