Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
threading needle. >

threading needle.

threading needle.

Old 06-13-2015, 05:52 AM
shy

Default threading needle.

I have notice comments about threading needles on here more than once..so thought I would add my two cent on it..I am sure many know and do this..I always cut my thread at an angle..machine or hand..u will be surprised how often that makes the difference..
Old 06-13-2015, 06:03 AM

Me too (cut on slant)and in addition I keep a yellow post-it tag - the skinny ones on top of the machine -- always handy and hold it behind the needle. I guess any color would work but I went with yellow= road signs, fire engines etc = the visibility factor. When it finally lints up just toss - inexpensive and always at the ready.
Old 06-13-2015, 06:12 AM

I learned something new about threading needles this past year. It really works.

Wet the BACK of the needle eye. You no not have to wet the thread. Most of the time I don't even have to re-cut the thread. If it doesn't go through first time every time, then try making a fresh cut on the thread. Works on hand sewing needle and on sewing machine needles. Of course you have to be able to aim your thread in the general direction of the needle hole. LOL
Old 06-13-2015, 06:13 AM
Power Poster

Interesting. When I tried this in the past, I managed to always split the plies. I'd get a part of the thread thru the hole and part on the outside.
The thing that works best for me is lick the needle hole, not the thread.
Old 06-13-2015, 06:18 AM

Another tip that works for me with hand sewing needles, if you can't get the thread through after a couple of tries, turn the needle around. The eye is a tiny bit larger on one side. Works for me every time.
Sue
Old 06-13-2015, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
Interesting. When I tried this in the past, I managed to always split the plies. I'd get a part of the thread thru the hole and part on the outside.
The thing that works best for me is lick the needle hole, not the thread.
Hahaha my mind brought up someone tilting their head sideways tongue stretched out to max trying to reach the machine needle to lick hole. Made me LOL
Old 06-13-2015, 07:18 AM
Power Poster

Sometimes I darn near go x-eyed then go for the magnifying glass.
Old 06-13-2015, 07:37 AM

All great tips! Another thing, not about threading actually but knotting for hand sewing, if you cut your piece twice as long as what you want to work with, then put both ends into eye of needle with loop hanging, when you take your first stitch, go through the loop, and wah-lah it's tied off with no knot! Ya'll all probably already knew this, but just thought I'd put my 2c in too! LOL!
Old 06-13-2015, 09:10 AM

I, too, get split thread when I cut the thread tip at an angle. It took me a long time to figure out if the needle won't thread, turn the needle around. Always works! Wetting the needle instead of the thread never worked for me. Must be doing something wrong. I was told that if you want to thread the sewing machine needle, run your thread down the front of the needle, in the groove (who knew there was a groove there), and it will pop into the hole. How can such a supposedly simple task could cause so much aggravation!!? lol
Old 06-13-2015, 09:10 AM
Power Poster

Red face

Originally Posted by Toni C View Post
Hahaha my mind brought up someone tilting their head sideways tongue stretched out to max trying to reach the machine needle to lick hole. Made me LOL
Yeah, that's why I finally had to get a machine with a needle threader