Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rag Quilt - a few questions >

Rag Quilt - a few questions

Rag Quilt - a few questions

Old 06-16-2015, 05:23 AM

Default Rag Quilt - a few questions

I'm making my first rag quilt for a baby shower gift. I'm incredibly pleased how it's turning out, but I'm getting concerned with the level of fraying I'm seeing. I haven't snipped it yet, but I have a lot of frayed "threads" all over. Is this normal for rag quilts?

Also, is your preference to bind your rag quilts or just snip the edges and let them be "raggy"? If you do bind them, what do you do about the part where the rag (seams) meet the bound edge? Snip as close to the binding as possible?

I used 100% cotton fabrics - no flannel - if this matters.

Thanks!
Old 06-16-2015, 05:41 AM
Power Poster

Fraying is normal. When you snip try to snip about every 1/4"-3/8" for a nice chenille finish. I've done both bound and snipped edges. With a thin- no flannel one binding would be easy, just leave 1/2" from edges unclipped. ( I usually haven the quilt all done & bound before snipping) and if I'm going to snip the edges I sew a double line of stitches all the way around the quilt about 1/2" from edge before clipping
Old 06-16-2015, 05:44 AM
Power Poster

Fraying is normal but I have only used flannel for my rag quilts. I do suggest that you take the quilt when the snipping is finished to wash it at a laundromat. My friend washed hers and it clogged her plumbing so you know the cost of having to call a plumber. Better to be safe than sorry.
Old 06-16-2015, 08:22 AM

Thank you both for the replies!

I never even considered the consequences of washing quilts on the plumbing... it probably should've occurred to me! Glad you mentioned that!
Old 06-16-2015, 03:41 PM

I don't think I'd give one to a baby. As it might continues to fray. To a young child, great!
Old 06-16-2015, 05:45 PM

I've made lots of them, but always used flannel, some cotton on one side, flannel on the other, but never with no flannel. So, in my trial & error, they do fray a lot, shed a lot, I always put binding on mine, just my preference. I also recommend taking to laundromat for initial wash, you will have to shake the you know what out of it! Then when drying, clean lint trap very often! The cheaper flannel will pill, I've used the clothes shaver on them, or the lint roller, drag lint roller towards you, works better than just rolling side to side!