Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bernina owners...  Help please >

Bernina owners... Help please

Bernina owners... Help please

Old 07-09-2015, 02:35 PM

Default Bernina owners... Help please

When you FMQ with your BSR on do you ever get loops on the bottom of your quilt? Mine are ever so slight but if I run my fingernail across a row of stitches I can hear the small thread loops and I am always worried the stitching won't hold up. I'm assuming my tension is off and I've adjusted the top tension to be tighter but that hasn't fixed it. Do you ever have tension issues? How much do you have to change your tension when you FMQ? Any help you can provide is much appreciated. My Bernina store is closed until Tues because the owners are at Bernina University so I can't even check with them.
Thanks!
Old 07-09-2015, 02:38 PM

What thread are you using? What bobbin thread are you using? What needle are you using?
Old 07-09-2015, 03:07 PM

I used King Tut on both top and bottom with a 90/14 topstitch needle as instructed at my Bernina Dealer before they left. I guess that does make a difference but I think I've had this issue before with Aurafil also.
Old 07-09-2015, 03:56 PM

I do not get loops but I have also had to fool around with my tension. It can even change each time I FMQ. I use 40wt King Tut and top stitch needle but I use 50 wt Masterpiece or So Fine or Bottom Line (60wt) for the bobbin. Try taking off the BSR and stitching without it. Is it still looping. Re thread, new needle, check bobbin, use new bobbin. Good luck.
Old 07-09-2015, 04:00 PM
Power Poster

I always do a test quilt swatch and start with my top tension on the factory setting. If I have eyelashes on the bottom I slowly increase my top tension a couple of numbers. If I still have eyelashes on the bottom I fiddle with my bobbin tension until I get a balanced stretch on my test quilt sandwich. Moving your bobbin tension is not scary if you take a picture or make a note of the screws position before starting. You can turn the screw back for regular sewing later if you know where it was orininally.
Old 07-09-2015, 04:44 PM

You can also adjust the stitch length to just a little shorter, which I think looks a little better, when using the BSR. Get comfortable with adjusting your upper and lower tensions -- they're adjustable for a reason.
Old 07-09-2015, 05:03 PM

From Manitoba dumb z it may sound, look at instruction book see if needle is plug in shunt properly.. I got a headace trying for hours to figure out a loose thread issue only to finally pull out my book and find the needle was slide in wrong. Then, magic.. Maybe not the case but worth a try.
Old 07-09-2015, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I always do a test quilt swatch and start with my top tension on the factory setting. If I have eyelashes on the bottom I slowly increase my top tension a couple of numbers. If I still have eyelashes on the bottom I fiddle with my bobbin tension until I get a balanced stretch on my test quilt sandwich. Moving your bobbin tension is not scary if you take a picture or make a note of the screws position before starting. You can turn the screw back for regular sewing later if you know where it was orininally.
So when you adjust the bobbin after you've tightened the top tension you are loosening the bobbin tension right? And thanks for the tip on taking a pic to remember how to put it back. I think this just might work.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:58 PM

Take a picture of the final adjustment. This will be useful next time you use the BSR. When I first had my bernina used theBSR slowly over time I just use either the walking foot for straight quilting or darning foot for free motion. Why the change because I do less fiddling to adjust stitch when I begin quilting.
Old 07-10-2015, 03:47 AM
Power Poster

Yes, I am loosening the bobbin tension after tightening the top tension if I still have eye lashes. If the bobbin is too tight it is pulling the top thread down to the back.