Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
too much garden produce >

too much garden produce

too much garden produce

Old 07-20-2015, 08:08 AM

Default too much garden produce

We have been overrun with crooked neck summer squash. Was thinking about making squash bread and squash casserole and freezing it. Have any of you done this? What kind of containers did you freeze it in? Does it taste good after being frozen? I've never had this happen before. Usually we just have a few of this and that from the garden to eat .Thank you ahead of time for any suggestions or replies .
Old 07-20-2015, 09:28 AM

You can freeze it in ziplock bags. You can cook it if you want to then put in bags but dont have to but takes up less room in frezer.
Old 07-20-2015, 09:42 AM
Power Poster

After freezing it should taste fresh when ready to use. Their are a lot of sites like the food websites about freezing and the different squashes recipes.
Old 07-20-2015, 09:49 AM

I get too much of it - even with only a couple plants of zucchini and summer squash - and I have had no success blanching and freezing it to retain texture and flavor, even vaccum-packed.
I think you are on the right track - you need to put it into a bread or something where it is grated. Breads freeze fine! but they take up more room in the freezer than I like.
At our house we give it away to the neighbors, co-workers, mailman etc. Tried to give it to the needy but the local place which feeds the poor didn't want it because they don't know where it has been.
Old 07-20-2015, 10:29 AM
Power Poster

Last week Bonnie Hunter had too many yellow squash. She sent out a request for recipes. She has posted some of them on her site www.quiltville.blogspot.ca Maybe look there for ideas?
Old 07-20-2015, 02:23 PM

I have had a similar problem. It's always something different around here. Last year too much okra, this year too many green beans. I have heard of freezing casseroles. The glass casserole pan is lined with aluminum foil, the casserole mixture is place into it with aluminum "wings" on all sides. And the entire thing is placed in the freezer. Once frozen, you simply lift out the casserole, fold over the flaps and place in a large Ziploc bag. You simply place it back in the pan and bake as usual.
Old 07-21-2015, 03:58 AM

I freeze shredded zucchini or summer squash in Ziplock bags for future loaves of bread. It works well, although you have to drain it well before using it. I also freeze sliced summer squash that I freeze w/o blanching in a single layer on a cookie sheet. When frozen, pop slices into a Ziplock bag. My cousin gave me a cookbook with 255 recipes for all kinds of squash, and we eat everything zucchini all year long.
Old 07-21-2015, 06:32 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

I shred zuchini squash for Zuke bread, then I take all the leftovers from the garden (Tomatoes,onions,peppers) fry them up together with the crookneck and zuchini squash. Cook them till almost done, then put them into freezer bag sized meals. They taste so good in the winter time, along with canned peaches and other fruits !
Old 07-21-2015, 11:52 AM
BCM

Not an answer to your question, but may I suggest making pickled squash. Look pretty and taste good.
Old 07-22-2015, 03:37 PM

Wish I could take some of it off your hands for you!