Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pre-Marked Whole Cloth Quilt Tops >

Pre-Marked Whole Cloth Quilt Tops

Pre-Marked Whole Cloth Quilt Tops

Old 07-22-2015, 01:12 PM

Default Pre-Marked Whole Cloth Quilt Tops

Has anyone used this product?

I love the designs & Benertex usually makes good quality fabric, but I saw the fabric described as "muslin" somewhere and that has me worried. I'd rather pick up some stencils & Moda Bella fabric and make my own marked quilt top than use some rough or loosely woven material. I usually think of Muslin as being for the back of a wall quilt or for practicing skills, not for making a beautiful whole cloth quilt.

I'd been going back & forth on what to do for my brother/SIL's new baby due in February. She likes to think of quilts as some kind of prized possession like china that you maybe bring out once a year. Drives me CRAZY, but I figure if that's how she's going to use them, then I'd like to make something that isn't going to go out of style & that would still be age-appropriate for a young adult to hang on the wall 20 years from now. A white/ivory whole cloth quilt seems to fit that bill.

If the Benertex marked quilt top fabric isn't really high quality fabric, I need to start searching for different stencils that could make a nice design (either 40x40" or something like 40x54").

I'd really appreciate all feedback or ideas anyone has about either working with pre-marked whole cloth or selecting stencils to mark your own whole cloth quilt top. I'm not sure yet whether I will machine quilt or hand quilt, but I'm leaning toward hand quilting even though this would be the biggest project I've ever done by hand.

Thanks so much for any & all info!!!
Old 07-22-2015, 03:33 PM

I have one of the mini ones. We used them for our free motion quilting class. I think the fabric is pretty nice.
Old 07-22-2015, 03:52 PM

I don't have any personal experience with the Benartex whole cloth quilt tops, but I do know they are designed by Holice Turnbow, a highly respected certified quilt judge that used to be a contributing member here. I simply cannot imagine his ever agreeing to put his designs on anything less than high quality fabric.
Old 07-22-2015, 05:20 PM
Power Poster

Muslin comes in a lot of different forms. If it's being stamped for a whole cloth quilt it's probably a very good quality.
Old 07-22-2015, 11:18 PM

Hmm... okay. Maybe I will give it a try. Thanks for the info!
Old 07-23-2015, 04:18 AM

I have three stamped whole cloths...not done by me...rescued at various estate sales....and they are beautiful and the "muslin" is of the finest quality......good muslin is great to work with....I use it on a lot of my bed quits......and also in piecing.....when washed it is as soft as marshmallow.....
Old 07-23-2015, 04:34 AM
dd

Can you return it, if you decide you don't like it, after you get it?
Old 07-23-2015, 06:07 AM

I have one and it is lovely, I would buy another. Just a note, Ricky Timms' hand dyed fabric, is all muslin, and it is wonderful. Please don't put muslin down. I use a lot of it.
Old 07-23-2015, 06:42 AM

There are many excellent grades of muslin on the market that can be used for whole cloth quilts, as well as many other uses in quilting. The Benertex kits are excellent quality.
Old 07-24-2015, 04:55 AM

I have quilted one of the Benartex tops and it was fine. The fabric was easy to work with and the marks came out just fine. Thinking about trying to find another one to work on.