View Single Post
Old 07-22-2015, 01:12 PM
Bree123

Default Pre-Marked Whole Cloth Quilt Tops

Has anyone used this product?

I love the designs & Benertex usually makes good quality fabric, but I saw the fabric described as "muslin" somewhere and that has me worried. I'd rather pick up some stencils & Moda Bella fabric and make my own marked quilt top than use some rough or loosely woven material. I usually think of Muslin as being for the back of a wall quilt or for practicing skills, not for making a beautiful whole cloth quilt.

I'd been going back & forth on what to do for my brother/SIL's new baby due in February. She likes to think of quilts as some kind of prized possession like china that you maybe bring out once a year. Drives me CRAZY, but I figure if that's how she's going to use them, then I'd like to make something that isn't going to go out of style & that would still be age-appropriate for a young adult to hang on the wall 20 years from now. A white/ivory whole cloth quilt seems to fit that bill.

If the Benertex marked quilt top fabric isn't really high quality fabric, I need to start searching for different stencils that could make a nice design (either 40x40" or something like 40x54").

I'd really appreciate all feedback or ideas anyone has about either working with pre-marked whole cloth or selecting stencils to mark your own whole cloth quilt top. I'm not sure yet whether I will machine quilt or hand quilt, but I'm leaning toward hand quilting even though this would be the biggest project I've ever done by hand.

Thanks so much for any & all info!!!