Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A solution for quilting burnout >

A solution for quilting burnout

A solution for quilting burnout

Old 08-27-2015, 06:57 AM

Default A solution for quilting burnout

I've been a bit burnt on quilt-making lately. I've had the same quilt on my design wall for MONTHS now, and making almost no progress. I sort of lost the spark, I guess.

A coworker recently asked me to help her learn how to make quilts, and we've been working on her first quilt together. Interestingly, it's made me a lot more interested in working on my own quilts, and has re-inspired me to try new things and finish the things I have started and has gotten me back to doodling ideas.

So if you're having burn-out, find a student! It's so much fun to see everything "new" and fresh again through their eyes and will help you remember why you fell in love with the hobby in the first place. (And you can also unload some extra fabric and "stuff" on them and make you both very happy!)
Old 08-27-2015, 07:02 AM

Great and giving idea. I'm trying to lure my son's girlfriend into quilting ;-)
I also have a lot of stuff I wouldn't mind sharing.
Old 08-27-2015, 07:11 AM
Power Poster

I get burn out and then my little grandniece comes over. That's the spark I need. My DS let me know his youngest (my DGD) is interested in sewing. What to do? Told him to go to JoAnn's and get a beginner kit. He took Home Ec in high school for an easy credit and really liked the sewing part. Did not know he had already purchased a sewing machine to mend his own clothes. He then told me one of his friend's mother has a quilt/sewing shop. Told him to go there. He did and she gave him a discount and that is where he got all he needed. He kept saying he did that. that's ok but wish I had known when I was up there couple years ago. I didn't ask him the name of the shop though. DUH!!
Old 08-27-2015, 05:31 PM

That's why I became so good in Math & eventually taught it ... by tutoring others who were less skilled back in grade school. I had to be able to rephrase what I was trying to get across. I learned the different ways too work with numbers because each student was different and needed different approaches. This made it fun for us all.
Old 08-28-2015, 07:56 AM
Power Poster

That is a great idea. I usually start putting another quilt on top of the blocks I am bored with.
Old 08-28-2015, 05:00 PM
Power Poster

when I get burnout, I do counted cross stitch, crocheting, knitting or scrapbooking. it refreshes me. good luck.
Old 08-28-2015, 05:06 PM

Glad that worked for you Sewnoma. If I get burned out,
I either take a nap or think about housework!

Nan
Old 08-28-2015, 06:32 PM

I've read everyone's ideas about what they do for burnout! they are all good!
Old 08-28-2015, 06:48 PM

Another burn-out solution: Granddaughter looks at you SO sweetly and says "gramma, I'm getting married next summer.....will you make me a quilt?".........Oh heck yes, pattern took three days to determine, found fabric within 2 days, Have 7 blocks cut out (Hunter's Star) and sewn in one afternoon.......ALL while recovering from bronchitis and moving our RV (we live in it) 2 times!!!!! YEAH!