Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
How many of us Quilt on a Treadle? >

How many of us Quilt on a Treadle?

How many of us Quilt on a Treadle?

Old 10-12-2009, 01:24 PM
Banned

Ok this has me wondering, I know I am the minority here being a guy and all (you will never here me complain about being surrounded by women :D ) but how many of us quilt on a treadle?

It can either be making the top to doing the entire quilt like I do. And if you do what kind of machine do you use?

To me a quilt is like a piece of art that tells a story either about the quilter or something important to the quilter. When it is done on a treadle for me it takes it to a whole nother level, like going back in time and touching a piece of living history. When I am in my shop quilting with my treadle its like all time stopped at the door and I am back in the late 1800's to early 1900's depending on the machine I am using.

And after I finish a project I will hand embroider the date and the machine it was made on just to give it the final touch.

Billy
Old 10-12-2009, 01:34 PM
Banned

Location: lost in fabric & I'm not coming out until Secret Quilt Angel is over.

OHHHHHH how I wish I had one but I don't. I have an inner ear disorder so I can't use a sewing machine because of the sound of the motor but a treadle has no motor I would be in heaven. The things I could make, right now I sew everything by hand. If I had one I would use it for everything. Maybe one day I could afford one.
Old 10-12-2009, 02:40 PM

Well my new belt is here and I have a Standard made in Ohio treadle machine, I have yet to make a quilt on it but am planning to soon.
Old 10-12-2009, 02:49 PM

Not me. But I bet fm on treadle could be fun.
Old 10-12-2009, 02:51 PM

I have a 1904 Singer treadle. I haven't tried quilting on it...maybe I should!!!
Old 10-12-2009, 02:54 PM

I have a 1941 Singer that I recently got. Still figuring out how to not sew backward when I want to go forward. Haven't made anything yet.
Old 10-12-2009, 02:56 PM
Power Poster

I'm pretty sure Rhonda does, but perhaps she hasn't seen this thread yet.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:21 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by trupeach
OHHHHHH how I wish I had one but I don't. I have an inner ear disorder so I can't use a sewing machine because of the sound of the motor but a treadle has no motor I would be in heaven. The things I could make, right now I sew everything by hand. If I had one I would use it for everything. Maybe one day I could afford one.
You may be over-estimating the cost of buying a treadle. I have purchased two this year, both from Craigslist. I paid $50 for the first, a 1911 Singer 66K with Lotus decals, and $45 for the second, a Singer 27. Both are probably usable as-is, though they need belts. I'm cleaning up the cabinets and plan to give the heads some attention too, but I think some oil is probably all they need. There are lots of ads that ask far more than that for comparable machines, and I have looked at several in that price range that I didn't buy for one reason or another, but I'm sure if you look around you will find one you can afford, or even one that someone will give away if you give it a good home.

I want to learn how to treadle on the 66K, though I doubt I will get much use of the 27 because of its funny bobbin. I just hate to see those machines getting covered with cobwebs in someone's garage, and it's so sad to see an ad that says "we're selling grandma's treadle...". I have no idea what happened to my own grandmother's treadle, but there were so many children and grand's and great-grands that I'm sure it wound up in the family somewhere.

Billy, my question is, do you cover the feed dogs and free motion on your treadle?
Old 10-12-2009, 05:11 PM
Power Poster

I would love to own a treadle machine to piece with!!! I am still looking for one.... I am sooo envious of all of you!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Old 10-12-2009, 06:23 PM

I have my grandmother's. Sadly, right now it is holding up the TV. I have been looking for a cabinet so I can have my machine back. Meanwhile, I keep looking and drooling over some on Craigs List, just in case I need to purchase another. Never can have too many machines. :wink: