Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting with Coating-Weight Italian Flannel >

Quilting with Coating-Weight Italian Flannel

Quilting with Coating-Weight Italian Flannel

Old 10-31-2015, 07:36 AM

Default Quilting with Coating-Weight Italian Flannel

Hello, All,

I moved last summer and took the opportunity to donate a lot of old blankets. Now, with winter coming on, I'm blanket-less! I have two yards of a beautiful, bright red plaid flannel that I'd like to use. I know I could just run a blanket stitch around the edges and call it a day, but I'd like something more substantial.

My idea is to double up the fabric and quilt the two layers simply with no batting. What do you all think? I've always resisted not having a full sandwich, but, in this case, I'm not sure if there's a real benefit. Is there? Do I need something? If so, why?

Thanks,
Aso
Old 10-31-2015, 07:39 AM
Power Poster

Sorry no help here but I've never heard of coating-weight Italian flannel.
Old 10-31-2015, 07:49 AM
Power Poster

I have no experience with that flannel but regular flannel loves to stick to itself. I think I would put in a batt just to avoid the flannel sticking to itself and causing pleats on the back when you quilt it.
If your flannel is thick enough it won't pleat then go for it!

Last edited by Tartan; 10-31-2015 at 07:53 AM.
Old 10-31-2015, 08:33 AM

It's your quilt - do whatever you want!!!

I made 4 summer quilts, one for every bed in my house. Each one is a top and a back, no batting. They are the perfect weight for sweltering NJ summers. Some may call this a "coverlet" not a quilt. Whatever. They look great on the beds and they are used all summer. That's all I care about, not the name.

I also have made quilts with yardage of double knit fabric as the batting. I love the way it drapes and I think it's actually warmer than regular batting. I don't care that it's not puffy. Again, this is my quilt, for my use (or for me to gift) and that's what I wanted to do.

So do what you want to do. I think it's a great idea!!
Old 10-31-2015, 10:09 AM

I do it all the time. They are called "summer quilts" or "counterpane" quilts. You just have to be sure to bast it well so that you don't get wrinkles on the back.
Old 10-31-2015, 01:39 PM

I'm guessing that coat-weight flannel is wool and very wide. If so, instead of a quilt, why not just add a beautiful wide satin binding? If it's cotton flannel, my husband's granny made a great cozy quilt from what I think was really heavy petticoat flannel. It was filled with an old quilt and tied with wool yarn and made an extremely cozy, long lasting comforter.
Old 10-31-2015, 05:20 PM

I would definitely want to wash and dry it first - maybe a couple of times. Especially since it is red. My DH got a new set of very heavy flannel sheets for his bed a couple of years ago and they were a red flannel. I knew better, so I immediately washed and dried them - once. He only sleeps in his white undershirts/shorts and they turned pink the very first night.