Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bernina 440QE buttonhole foot 3A >

Bernina 440QE buttonhole foot 3A

Bernina 440QE buttonhole foot 3A

Old 11-05-2015, 05:48 PM

Default Bernina 440QE buttonhole foot 3A

Hi-I am new here. I am trying to specify the length of my button hole using foot 3A. It will only sew one length. I have read the manual and am following all the instructions. Any hints? Thanks
Old 11-05-2015, 06:52 PM
Power Poster

Use a scrap fabric sample first. When you put on the buttonhole foot, you press the 0 (blue button) that has the buttonhole symbol. The buttonhole symbol should appear on the screen. Put your foot on the pedal and it will start to zig zag sew the left side. Wherever you move that little red slide on the foot, is the length of your buttonhole. When the red slide and the little red line are lined up, press the little reverse symbol and the machine will straight stitch back to the starting point. Then it will zig zag up the right side of the buttonhole. It will bar tack at the end.
Check the buttonhole and if it is the right size, all the rest of the buttonholes will be the same size until you change the setting.
Old 11-05-2015, 08:48 PM

You should just be able to tap the back-stitch button when you reach the length you want, then it should finish it and remember it.

However... sometimes the 3A foot needs to be re-calibrated by your sewing machine tech. Sometimes the those 3A feet "fail" to calibrate, and need to be replaced. If it needs to see the sewing machine tech, take both the machine and the 3A foot. It could be the foot's fault, or there could be a disconnected part on the circuit board.

I hope it's an easy fix.
Old 11-06-2015, 09:19 AM
Power Poster

I have never used a buttonhole foot on either of my Berninas. Or zipper foot. Strictly a quilter by heart.
Old 11-06-2015, 09:41 AM

It might need to be updated. Take your BSR with you for an update too.