Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What would YOU do ?? >

What would YOU do ??

What would YOU do ??

Old 11-15-2015, 01:31 PM

Default What would YOU do ??

I am getting ready to quilt a top that is all HST's. Half of the HST is cream and the other half is fabric of many different scrappy fabrics (all shades of tan, grey, brown, black etc!). The light and dark form the pattern of a diamond. I want to quilt all the CREAM diamonds in just a straight stitch all in a kind of echo design. the backing I chose (which is PERFECT) is dark brown with black swirls. My problem is I want the front thread to match the cream color and the back thread to be black. I cannot for the life of me get my thread tension set correctly so the black doesn't show thru onto the cream front. I am not wanting to use cream on the back. I may just have to bite the bullet and use the cream on the back... sigh ! What would YOU do ? Thanks in advance for any help! I want to get started on this ASAP.
Old 11-15-2015, 01:33 PM

maybe you could use a grey or charcoal instead of the black it should not show thru except where you start and stop
Old 11-15-2015, 01:38 PM

What weight thread are you using? I mix colors using King Tut for the top and Bottom Line for the bobbin and don't have any problems.
Old 11-15-2015, 02:51 PM

Maybe use a light brown thread for the back? It may not be so jarring against the cream on the front
Old 11-15-2015, 02:56 PM
Power Poster

I have not been able to achieve perfect stitch balance on any of my machines using two different color threads. I believe it depends a lot on the specific machine.

In your situation I would make up a test sandwich and try a few different threads before deciding. I would probably go with very fine thread in a light charcoal gray. I would probably try out Invisafil thread for this, or Aurifil 50 wt (which is 2-ply, a good choice if you prefer cotton), or a silk thread if your machine can handle 100 wt thread (extremely fine). In my opinion you want to avoid any regular 50wt 3/ply thread and go with at the very least a 50/2 or 60/2 weight thread. These are threads that will give your quilting definition but will not be highly visible.

Edit: Bottomline in both top and bobbin would be another possibility.

Note: I am assuming you are quilting on a domestic machine. Some of these threads may be too weak for the speed of a longarm.
Old 11-15-2015, 02:59 PM

Thanks for suggestions. I decided to go for a walk ( it is actually sunny here in the Pacific N.W. today although windy and 47 degrees!). I was pondering the use of gray or brown. the grey I have is too light and don't have enough brown for entire quilt. So off to the store tomorrow. I use MAXI-Lock thread 100% polyester. probably not the BEST thread in the world but it works for me..... Thanks again! Will let you know what I decide.....
Old 11-15-2015, 03:03 PM

I agree with Prism. I'd put in a high quality monofilament in the bobbin (wind very slowly & only fill about half full) and call it a day.

That said, I've never actually had to do that. I use Aurifil in the top & bobbin. Usually, I match the colors, but I have used different colors top/bobbin with a 50wt/2ply and have never had any issues with it not looping in my batting. What kind of batting are you using? If possible, maybe you could try a thicker batting. I use W&N or W&P 100% cotton battings.
Old 11-15-2015, 11:50 PM

I think it's impossible not to get "pokies" (dots of thread from the opposite side) when machine quilting, even with perfect tension, because of the movement of the machine and flexing of the needle and quilt sandwich. What I do is make sure I use a backing that will look good with the thread color I'm using on the top so I can use identical threads both top and bottom.
Old 11-16-2015, 05:18 AM
Power Poster

If you are doing FMQ on a DSM, the bobbin will occasionally pop up because your timing will be slightly off occasionally. I always try to pick something suitable that will match the color of top thread.
Old 11-16-2015, 02:01 PM

Again - thanks for all replies. Yes! I am using DSM. The machine used in this project is PFAFF Creative Vision. I WILL remember in the future to use backing that will use the same or close to same color thread top and bottom. I DO use W & N 100% cotton. It is mostly for machine embroidery but is also a good quilter... I went to my fave LQS today and they pretty much said what you all said. Owner suggested I use a smaller needle because maybe what I THINK is the dark poking thru is just a bigger hole than I need showing. Well ! THAT makes sense! We also decided to use a thread color a few shades lighter than the brown in the backing. If it does show thru it will at least be less noticeable than the black I was going to use. The back thread will probably show but at least it will be tonal and not stick out like a sore thumb like the cream color I am using on the front. Hope this makes sense. SO with everybody's help you may have figured out a way AROUND my dilemma. so thanks again everybody.... until I have another problem for you to solve.... HAPPY QUILTING.