Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What would you use to mark a quilt for quilting? >

What would you use to mark a quilt for quilting?

What would you use to mark a quilt for quilting?

Old 02-21-2016, 04:03 PM

Default What would you use to mark a quilt for quilting?

Hi everyone! I am finishing up a triple Irish Chain quilt top and I'm thinking that quilting a design on the background, maybe a medallion, would look good. I've done a little free motion quilting that came out OK but it wasn't anything complicated. This would be a step up for me. My question is what do I use to mark a design on the white parts of the quilt? I was in a hand quilting group that used pencil, but I have my doubts that it would wash out. I read a post on the board that said she used white chalk on a dark quilt, but then I read another different post that most replies said not to use chalk, because it wouldn't wash out. I've seen people mention on the board that they used Crayola washable markers with good results. I'm going to try different methods on some leftover fabric, but I'd like to benefit from the experience of the board members. Please, what would you use to mark white fabric for quilting?
Old 02-21-2016, 04:08 PM
Power Poster

I machine quilted on my dsm. I marked with pencils and erased as I went along. I just used a pencil with a separate eraser that has a cap eraser (wedge tip).
Old 02-21-2016, 04:37 PM

Washable Crayola markers have worked well for me. Find some with a fine tip.
Old 02-21-2016, 05:06 PM

I've used stencils and pouncy chalk for marking. And I've also used a #2 sharp pencil and marked very lightly. Once I used pink chalk on white fabric and it didn't wash out, nor did it come out with a Shout wipe. So I would definitely recommend testing before using.
Old 02-21-2016, 05:13 PM

I use the blue washable marking pencil that is made for this. Also I have used a regular pencil. I always spray starch my fabric and have never had a problem with anything not coming out. I do always wash my quilts as soon as I have quilted them.
Old 02-21-2016, 06:13 PM

I use the blue water soluble marking pens, various brands like Clover, Collins, Dritz and they have all washed out with a spritz or two of water. Also the purple air soluble marker works well and disappears on its own or with water. I've also used the Clover chalk pencils which are water soluble, they come in white, blue and pink, but I don't think I've used the pink. They come out. And for dark I use the ceramic chalk mechanical pencils, that can be found by Fons and Porter, Sewline and Bohin. I like the nice fine line they make and they rub and/or wash out. Test on a piece of fabric as already mentioned and make sure it'll work for you.
Old 02-21-2016, 06:40 PM

For hand quilting I use a #2 mechanical pencil on white/light fabrics and the Bohin mechanical pencil with white lead on dark fabrics. Have never had an issue with either washing out of fabrics.
Old 02-21-2016, 07:10 PM

If you plan to wash it, I love the Crayola Ultra Clean markers or crayons. Just to be completely safe, I'd test whatever color you plan to use on a scrap to make sure it comes out okay. Sometimes people report issues with the Yellow marker not coming out. I usually pick green, blue or purple on white & they come out no problem even with white on white fabrics. The crayon usually comes out partly just during the quilting process, and the rest by brushing it off with my hand. If there is any remaining, I can usually get it out with a damp rag.

But really whatever you like is a good choice. I have seen quilts where the #2 pencil didn't come entirely out but it's usually only noticeable when looking for it since you stitch right on top of the drawn line. I've heard that either the white or kneaded erasers get out stray marks better than the pink erasers. I know that's the case with stray marks on clothing.
Old 02-21-2016, 10:55 PM
Power Poster

You could mark it on Goldenthreads paper or use a silver pencil which works on light and dark fabric.
Old 02-21-2016, 11:12 PM

I. Use a frixion pen and have never had any trouble. Some on this site have had problems with it returning in very, very cold conditions. I'm making a appliqué blue embroidery quilt and the tutor recommended these pens. I've had trouble removing the blue chalk.