Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what do you use to mark you quilt? >

what do you use to mark you quilt?

what do you use to mark you quilt?

Old 03-18-2011, 08:21 AM

I have a kings size quilt I am hand quilting. My problem is the markers I usually use (mark-be-gone) is not showing up very well. I have the Chalk but I cant make it stay on the quilt long enough to quilt that section. Anybody have any suggestions? What do you use to mark you quilt for hand quilting?
Old 03-18-2011, 08:24 AM

When I have dark fabric, I use Clover white marker pen. It makes a nice sharp line and irons out or you can wet it with a spray of water. The marks take a few seconds to show up. They are a little on the pricey side, but it's what I use. You can get them in most catalogs, clothilde, keepsake, connecting threads.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:44 AM

Don't use the blue marker! I have had that reappear after ironing, washing and ironing again. The trick is to not iron it before you wash it but how else am I gonna' keep it looking nice for the longarmer?
Old 03-18-2011, 08:45 AM

I make each part as I go and then spritz it to remove it. I don't try to mark the whole thing at once. I use a Mark-b-gone pen or a chalk pencil. I prefer masking tape or painters tape if I am stitching straight lines. Just move the tape as I need to. No marks to worry about removing then.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:58 AM
Power Poster

i just use a good old pencil, i have had so many problems with other marking products i finally wised up and decided to just use the basics...i do always test a small area to make sure it's going to come out...so far i've never had a problem this the pencil coming out.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:03 AM

You Ladies are great. I forgot about when I use to just use tape. Anybody use the chalk, and if so how did you get it to stay, I was considering using a lite hair spray. Good or bad Idea?
Old 03-18-2011, 09:56 AM

I use the Sewline fabric pencil and LOVE it! A nice fine line, comes off easily with water or a soft eraser, has interchangable colors of leads for light and dark fabrics, and is easy to find. http://www.sewline-product.com/Sewline_Fabric_Pencil
Old 03-18-2011, 10:21 AM

I'm another no. 2 pencil user mostly. Haven't had a problem yet on any quilt. The one I'm working on now, however, is really giving me fits. A friend made the quilt and started quilting it and decided she didn't like it. Timing was such that I decided to work on it. The one fabric has so many different colors that I can't find anything that will show up. I have every type of marking tool known to man and there's not one I can see all of the quilting design on that fabric! Making me crazy and thus have not done any work on it in weeks. The entire border is done in this fabric - I don't know what I'm going to do to finish this thing and it's not even that large or complicated. Geez!
Old 03-18-2011, 10:32 AM
Banned

Multi-Pastel Chalk pencils from General Pencil Co in white, light gray and dark gray. Also General's Sketch and Wash (black) washable pencil. and the ceramic by SewLine, Fons and Porter or Collins.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:38 AM

I'm doing a Turning Twenty right now that has a lot of colors and patterns in it, so i'm using a variety of products: blue Mark-B-Gone, white chalk marker, yellow and pink chalk markers. The quilt is on a frame, so I'm marking each area as we turn it.

Good luck.