Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what do you use to mark you quilt? >

what do you use to mark you quilt?

what do you use to mark you quilt?

Old 03-18-2011, 10:40 AM

I still use what grandma taught me. #2 pencil very lightly. or pounce made by putting a spoonful of cinnamon for light fabric or baby powder for dark fabric into a square of muslin tied shut. Dab on stencil a little area at a time.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:07 AM

OK guess I have no more excuses, I'll let you know what I end up using!! Thanks everyone!
Old 03-25-2011, 11:02 AM

For everybody that gave me your suggestions thanks so much, I found the most perfect Mechinical Chalk Pencil that was ever created!!. I found it during one of my stops this week at my LQS heres all the info
Bohin (france)
Crayon Extra Fine mechanical chalk pencil
my LSQ said it was only sold to quilt shops. I highly recommend it!! Happy Quilting and thanks everyone!
Old 03-25-2011, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Kat Sews
I still use what grandma taught me. #2 pencil very lightly. or pounce made by putting a spoonful of cinnamon for light fabric or baby powder for dark fabric into a square of muslin tied shut. Dab on stencil a little area at a time.
\\

Hi Kat,

Thank you for sharing what grandma taught you. I never knew that cinnamon and baby powder were used to marking the quilting lines.

As a side note on old remedies, Nutmeg. What do I use it for? I use it for helping with diarrhea. Take a large spoon of water and cover with nutmeg. I keep it with me and I'm now to the point where I've just filled my palm with nutmeg and throw in my mouth, then follow with my favorite drink. In about 30 minutes the diarrhea normally subsides. Much better than the over the counter remedies.

I plan on using these when I get to the quilt marking stage.

Pam M
Old 03-25-2011, 11:38 AM

I tried Crayola Washable markers. It was a small quilt, machine quilted. I used the Fine Line markers in green, blue and purple. Threw the quilt in the machine just to rinse and spin, everything came out. Great. I'd do it again on anything that is going to get washed.