Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you use a pounce pad to mark a quilt to be longarmed? >

How do you use a pounce pad to mark a quilt to be longarmed?

How do you use a pounce pad to mark a quilt to be longarmed?

Old 02-01-2013, 11:59 AM
Power Poster

Default How do you use a pounce pad to mark a quilt to be longarmed?

I have seen the videos that show how you use the pounce with plastic stencils, and this is what I want to do with my new midarm frame setup. However, it seems to me that the stenciling needs a hard surface. I'm thinking if I mark the quilt top before rolling onto the frame, the markings are likely to rub off. Can I mark the quilt top once the quilt is rolled onto the frame? I figure I could make the sandwich drum tight for marking purposes, then loosen it to quilt. But will this even work?
Old 02-01-2013, 12:33 PM
Power Poster

I mark stencils with pounce pads while it is on the frame. It doesn't have to be that tight (I have not tightened things up) because you are rubbing the pad over the stencil like erasing a chalk board not "pouncing" it as the name implies. (Talk about mis-naming a product!!) If you are using the regular powder (as opposed to the Ultimate which requires heat or washing to remove) I recommend lightly spritzing your surface with a mist of water prior to applying. It helps the chalk to hold a little better. You will still get some bouncing of chalk but it won't all bounce away.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:49 PM
Power Poster

Thanks so much for the info! I am just starting out and wanted to order some stencils, but wanted to make sure they would work for me. I am getting the Ultimate. Anything to make marking easier for me!

If anyone is interested in stencils, there is a half price sale on them here:
http://www.lovetoquilt.com/
Old 02-01-2013, 01:26 PM
Power Poster

Oh, and I'm keeping your photos of Tealfacon's quilt up on my computer for inspiration!
http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...k-t210274.html
Old 02-01-2013, 05:58 PM
Power Poster

In the Craftsy course on ruler work, Kimmy Bruner recommends using a foam brush to apply the chalk rather than the pounce pad. She says this will apply less chalk. Having too much chalk causes it to bounce around all over the quilt and into your face when longarming.

Pounce is an art term in this case, not a description of what you do with the product. One of the definitions of pounce is "a fine powder, such as pulverized charcoal, dusted over a stencil to transfer a design to an underlying surface."
Old 02-01-2013, 08:04 PM
Power Poster

I never knew that about the art term for pounce! Thanks and also for the foam brush tip. I will try that as I have a bunch still left from my foray into tole painting.