Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Help! My Singer 457 wont zigzag >

Help! My Singer 457 wont zigzag

Help! My Singer 457 wont zigzag

Old 02-28-2016, 01:42 PM

Default Help! My Singer 457 wont zigzag

hello!

i just replaced the gear on my 457. Now when i try to zig zag it seems like the motor is stressed and it just stops. I also noticed that you cannot set the straight stitch with the needle in the right needle position.

Opening up the nose part, i can see now that some other fixer screwed up the timing and that a few of the other little screws have marks left by the previous owner. I know this is a good little machine if i can just get it to go. It might just Go out the window, if i cant figure out how to get her zigging and zaggin again.

BTW the gear replacement was the easy part of this fixer upper. lol

thanks
Old 02-29-2016, 04:36 PM

Sew, the straight stitch works, and you have the hook timing set after replacing the gear. (?) Now to check the zigzag cam timing and bight adjustment. First make sure there is no end play in the main shaft; push/pull on the fly wheel and make sure there is no play here. Now slowly turn the wheel by hand with zigzag and observe the needle position left/right as it enters the needle plate. It should be equally spaced on either side of the slot, and should only be changing position when the needle is above the plate. See if you can determine what/where is causing the binding...