Singer 403a needle wont move.

Old 07-29-2017, 02:16 PM

Default Singer 403a needle wont move.

So, I removed the bobbin, checked for jams, made sure the clutch was tight and I still cant get the machine to sew. The needle is in the up position about 80%. I am not sure what happened when the machine quit working as the wife was using it last.

I am at a loss as to what is jammed/broken.

I have a youtube video to try and describe what is happening but its in the process of uploading. This machine came in a cabinet with a bunch of feet and other addons along with original manual.

I hate to chuck it, but I don't want to spend $200-$300 to fix it.

I really just need a decent machine like a 15-91 or the like that will go through fairly thick material straight stitch only.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-29-2017, 03:26 PM

https://youtu.be/3qdJvzStLM8
Old 07-29-2017, 03:45 PM

Your machine looks a lot like my Singer 411G. I've had mine for 40+ years, and as far as I'm concerned, it's worth having it repaired. I had a problem with mine recently, and took it in for the second time in 40+ years. I thought it was a gear problem, but finally it was some kind of spring. Cost less than $100 Can. for the repair and a good maintenance.

These are great machines, and I would suggest you think carefully before disposing of it.

I have two Jukis, one mechanical and one computerized, but I still use my Singer a lot.
Old 07-29-2017, 04:00 PM

Are you sure the cluch on the handwheel is engaged? It almost looks like it was set to wind a bobbin and never was set back to engage all the gears to sew. Just something to check.
Old 07-29-2017, 04:57 PM

Yes, clutch on handwheel is engaged. I went as far as taking the little screw out and turning the clutch clockwise as much as I could so it locked on there super tight. Same deal. I also used PB blaster on the machine then used q tips to clean it up and same thing. I can feel a lot of resistance when I turn the wheel, so something is bound up for sure. It looks like the gears on that shaft are worn. My guess is there is a piece of metal stuck between the two binding it up.
Old 07-29-2017, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Patricia Drew View Post
Your machine looks a lot like my Singer 411G. I've had mine for 40+ years, and as far as I'm concerned, it's worth having it repaired. I had a problem with mine recently, and took it in for the second time in 40+ years. I thought it was a gear problem, but finally it was some kind of spring. Cost less than $100 Can. for the repair and a good maintenance.

These are great machines, and I would suggest you think carefully before disposing of it.

I have two Jukis, one mechanical and one computerized, but I still use my Singer a lot.
I have a 301 and would pay that much to have it repaired. You might want to take it in and have someone look at it. It might not cost that much to repair.
Old 07-29-2017, 07:03 PM

The bobbin case was jammed! I went through the manual and showed the wife the proper way to align it. Hopefully it's trouble free from here on out! It's been a great machine for the $50 I paid. Thanks again for the help.
Old 07-30-2017, 02:25 AM

Was there thread jammed in the bobbin case, or was it not properly installed? I'm trying to learn how to repair those vintage machines. Any diagnostic info is helpful.

Marcia
Old 07-30-2017, 05:05 AM

These are very good machines and well worth spending some time and money on. We often underestimate them because they are old, can be found at bargain prices, and not really worth much more if we sell them. The investment of handing it in for a service or a thorough DIY cleaning and oiling will pay off with these models. There aren't that much better machines made today. Technology has moved on and nice new models with fancy functions, step motors, advanced computerised soft- and hardware, but very little out there will replace a solid basic sewing machine like this.

Take care of your 403a it's worth keeping it up :- ) It's only when we are on our fourth and fifth vintage machines we don't want to pay much at all for it, because we often only make use of two or three of thems. I make a point of keeping a regular cleaning and oiling routing on my machines. Once a year or so I go through all the parts from top to botton more thorough clean up and polish up parts if needed. As we get to know the machine better, read up on info available we get to sort out the major or minor issues a long the way.

Last edited by Mickey2; 07-30-2017 at 05:13 AM.
Old 07-30-2017, 10:31 AM

Thanks! I have a few questions.

1. What is the screw knob looking thing on the top left for? I can screw it clockwise or counterclockwise. It looks like it's some kind of adjustment, buy my manual says nothing about it.

2. If the thread is twisting or balling up at the needle while sewing is that caused by user error? My wife keeps trying to force feed material through and I keep telling her that's what the feed dogs are for.

Thanks again!