Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Seam binding tape and Hem facing tape, same thing?? >

Seam binding tape and Hem facing tape, same thing??

Seam binding tape and Hem facing tape, same thing??

Old 04-09-2016, 08:29 AM

Default Seam binding tape and Hem facing tape, same thing??

I have many small packages of notions. I have some that say seam binding and some that say hem facing. In both cases, some of the fabric is lacy and some is not.

Are these interchangeable? I assume both are for finishing off a seam or hem to make it look more attractive. Is that right?

As a newbie sewist how do you use these products anyway? Do you sew your hem and then cover it with these fabrics or do you just sew down both edges of the facing/binding and encompass the unfinished seam?

Thanks.
Old 04-09-2016, 09:31 AM
Power Poster

I have some that I have given away for the sewer's in my church group. I did use the lacy ones for hems because they make the hems smoother since you don't have to turn under the raw edge. I never have used them for quilting and that is about all I do anymore.
Old 04-09-2016, 07:50 PM

It's been so long since I've used either of these, I had to refresh my memory with a google search. Yes they are for giving a more polished look to hems and seams. Older patterns called for them before zig zag machines and sergers were a household item. The lacy ones are for working with curves same as you would with a bias binding. You sew down both edges of the binding and encompass the unfinished seam. You stitch the hem facing onto the raw edge of the hem and then fold the hem up to the length you want and stitch (usually by hand) the other edge of the facing down. I've never interchanged the binding and facings. Hems often have a slight curve to them so the lace has some give and lies flat where the binding has no stretch and will pucker.
Old 04-09-2016, 07:53 PM

Sorry for the run on paragraph, the forum won't allow me to start a new paragraph. Check the feet for your Kenmore there may be some that will help you apply bindings or facings.
Old 04-10-2016, 03:45 AM

Thanks to both of you. I also did a google search before posting but I still wasn't clear on the differences.
Old 04-10-2016, 06:57 AM

I still use them when I make dresses or shirts. It adds a nice touch to them.