Extreme Makeover: Singer 15

Old 04-11-2016, 07:20 AM

Default Extreme Makeover: Singer 15

I know many of you find repainting the traditional black Singers a blasphemy...but we did it! It turned out really well and we're thinking of offering this service in Canada. Just looking for suggestions on a name for our venture.
Attached Thumbnails singer15.jpg  
Old 04-11-2016, 07:26 AM

I'm no good with names, but I love that lime-green...looks great!!
Old 04-11-2016, 08:59 AM

No great ideas - but it might be cool to offer black repaints with repro decals as well as the colored ones. Sometimes you get a great machine with the decals all silvered or worn off, or very rusty. That way you can keep the same look if you are more of a traditionalist. That being said...I love the pink and rose machines!
Old 04-11-2016, 09:30 AM

I like it but how can you tell what stitch length you are on? I just bought my first vintage machine, a 201-2 and I think I would need the numbers, at least in the few weeks I have been sewing on it I still need them. I'd pick fire engine metallic red.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:40 AM

Color your Singer or Singer beautification, Singer in Colors
Old 04-11-2016, 09:49 AM

I say go for it.

I personally like to keep as much of the original everything as possible. Davey, my Davis NVF, came to me so rusted that after a healing bath in Evaporust the tops of the throat and needle plates where badly pitted and caught on fabric, but I really didn't want to grind down the surface because much of the original engraving was left and the plates still fit. So I did the only logical thing: I covered their tops with heavy packing tape! Original and now smooth as glass

But those aren't my machines and it's not hurting anybody, so if someone wants flames on their Singer transverse suttle or a canary yellow White, well, OK. It's a little odd but I've got a mohawk & tattoos and listen to U2 so I'm not one to judge odd mashups.

As for a business name what about Hot Rod Stitches or Repainted Relics?
Old 04-11-2016, 10:33 AM

Sew Colorful

BTW....looking good!
Old 04-11-2016, 10:49 AM

I have nothing against repainting machines that need it. My only gripe is when someone does not bother to research what they ended up with, and that beat up old Singer was very collectable in the worn shape it was in!

I ended up with three machines like that, I bought them cheap planning on repainting - but after doing my research, realized I'd ended up with something rather rare, so I decided to leave them as they were.

Machines like that aren't all that common, most will have their value greatly increased with a new paint job.
Old 04-11-2016, 11:38 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by candlesewer View Post
I like it but how can you tell what stitch length you are on? I just bought my first vintage machine, a 201-2 and I think I would need the numbers, at least in the few weeks I have been sewing on it I still need them. I'd pick fire engine metallic red.
You can go over the numbers with a paint pen or White Out and quickly wipe it off. The paint will stay in the numbers and you'll be able to read them.

Cari
Old 04-11-2016, 12:08 PM

Oooo! My new Pfaff has some of the gold missing from the dial markings, and I have a gold pain marker. Thanks for the tip!