Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: caution - extreme shrinkage!

Blog Entries
    I bought 108" wide fabric for king size quilt backing at JoAnn Fabrics. It's 100% cotton so preshrunk it in hot water wash & dryer. Well, its width went from 108" to 92" -- 16" shrinkage in width! Called the JoAnn store & clerk told me "It should've 'only' shrunk 8 inches"! If I'd been advised of that before I bought it, I'd have selected a poly/cotton blend instead. I'd bought an extra 3/4 yard, thank goodness, so ended up having to cut the excess length off & turn it crosswise grain and sew onto the sides to get enough width. Then I washed it again, in hot water, and dried it again to be sure it's done all the shrinking it's going to do, hopefully!
    Do you think future washings in cold water should be safe??

That's a lot of shrinkage!!!

Blog Entries
    I would think even 8 inches of shrinking is too much :shock:

Pam
    Yikes!!! I know it is taboo, but thinking a king sized flat sheet at about $12 is looking pretty good to me, no shrinkage, no shifting. I know I am about to get kicked off here, and I really like the board. Oh well, let's see what happens.

Blog Entries
    Yes,that was my first option but even after ironing out all the seams, the 200 thread count king size flat sheet wasn't quite big enough so, not wanting to have seams in the backing, I went for the 108" wide. Joke was on me cuz I still had to have a seam down each side!

I have never heard of any fabric shrinking yhat much. I would take it back.

Pam
    Well, dog gone it.

That is a lot of shrinkage. Good thing you washed before using.

Good luck taking it back to Joanns!
    The last time I bought some backing from Joanns I had a heck of a time getting it to square up on the quilting machine. I seemed like it kept stretching!!!! I called that my quilt from He$$. I prewashed my fabric and didn't notice that it shrank any....
    I'd say that if it didn't shrink anymore when you pre-washed, it shouldn't after you're done.
    good luck!

I use sheets as backing almost all the time. So far I've never had any problems doing this.

I would be so upset about all that shrinkage! That is horrible. Frankly, I really haven't been hearing good things lately about JoAnns fabrics..

Yikes. I'd be really upset. Good thing you bought extra!

I've bought the wide backing fabrics from JoAnn's and had shrinkage problems, but not that much, only about 4 ins. which is still too much for me! I don't buy the wide backing from them anymore!

You'd be lucky if Joann's would even take it back. Most places have a "No Return" policy on cut fabrics.

Power Poster
    Do you remember what it said on the end of the bolt?

I purchased Roc-Lon tea-dyed muslin that said "pre-shrunk" on the end of the bolt.

Ha! That shrank a LOT wen I washed it. Sure glad I didn't believe the label.

I've never heard of fabric shrinking that much. Of course I don't wash in hot water either.

I'd take it back with your receipt showing the amount you bought and show the manager. If you don't get results, ask for the dist. mgr.'s address and write them.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wvdek
    I've never heard of fabric shrinking that much. Of course I don't wash in hot water either.

I'd take it back with your receipt showing the amount you bought and show the manager. If you don't get results, ask for the dist. mgr.'s address and write them.
    Course if it wasn't washed according to label instructions that's another story. I've seen some quilting fabric that says wash in cold water right on the bolt end.

Blog Entries
    WOW...OMG....I agree that's a lot of shrinkage. Now we know not to get that 108" backing. They should put a disclaimer or something on there stating the shrinkage.

Blog Entries
    I've never used a sheet for a backing...at least not on a big quilt. What thread count do you use? Any special brand? Thanks for any help.

Blog Entries
    thanks very much for this alert. you stated the facts, let us know the results of your inquiry, and resisted the urge to rant and rave about it.

this is valuable information. it also reminds me that i should keep better track of the manufacturer, the name of the fabric, and where i bought it. that information isn't always printed on the selvages. if i wrote all that on my copy of the order form, i'd be better able to remember which bargains were bargains, and which were not.

i am starting a notebook today!

thanks again. :thumbup:

Wow, that is alot of shrinking! I am really glad you bought extra! I always buy extra of Joannes Stuff too, because you never know!

Was that the Warm and Natural all cotton? Just wondering I'm ready to purchase "something" for a top I just pieced. I would never have thought to wash the batting prior to quilting. Is that something that should be done on a regular basis?

OK, on re-reading your post you stated backing and not batting.
    So sorry for confusion.

Pam
    Quote Originally Posted by ranger
    I've never used a sheet for a backing...at least not on a big quilt. What thread count do you use? Any special brand? Thanks for any help.
    I regularly use flat sheets for the backing on kids quilts because they get so much hard use. I just buy a sheet that I like the color or pattern for the back of the quilt.

If you are with the quilt police, please do not write to me, I do not care if you do not like this. I make quality things with quality workmanship and am proud of what I do.

I have heard many say that it is difficult to hand quilt through sheets, but I FMS so it is not an issue for me.

I rarely go to Joann'a, but thanks for the heads up. What ever happened to the customer is alwys right?

Quote Originally Posted by Pam
    Quote Originally Posted by ranger
    I regularly use flat sheets for the backing on kids quilts because they get so much hard use. I just buy a sheet that I like the color or pattern for the back of the quilt.

If you are with the quilt police, please do not write to me, I do not care if you do not like this. I make quality things with quality workmanship and am proud of what I do.

I have heard many say that it is difficult to hand quilt through sheets, but I FMS so it is not an issue for me.

No Quilt Police Allowed!!! I say sew with whatever makes you happy!!!

Blog Entries
    I am just so glad you pre-shrunk! You would have been jumping up and down if you had made the quilt and then washed the fabric the first time. Oooooohhhhhhh! I am sorry it shrunk but I am glad you knew before you sewed.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast