Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How can we save this log cabin? >

How can we save this log cabin?

How can we save this log cabin?

Old 05-02-2016, 02:04 PM

Default How can we save this log cabin?

A friend ordered a precut kit several months ago(eBay)- she has rheumatoid arthritis and can't cut pieces comfortably. She just recently started to sew this project, and finds no sashing in the kit, or any mention in the directions. Bigger problem-pieces are not cut uniformly, and the solid squares are off by 1/4"...they are supposed to be 8" squares. Her blocks are finishing at various widths, due to crooked cutting. Argh.
Since it has been so long since she purchased the kit, I doubt the seller will do anything...if she is still selling!
So. Solutions....?
Square everything to 7 1/2", add white sashing-will this make the log cabin blocks look wonky, or will 1/4" not be too noticeable?
Purchase new solid fabric and recut the squares-but some of the pieced blocks will still need squared up, and they will be smaller than 8"
Any other ideas? I feel so badly for her-she is a beginner and was so excited to finally feel well enough to stitch.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg   image.jpeg  
Old 05-02-2016, 02:17 PM
Power Poster

That is very sad. I would still contact the seller and inform her of the problems with the kit. Anybody who has pride in what she sells will help out if she can. If not, lesson learn unfortunately.
Old 05-02-2016, 02:19 PM

Actually, it looks fine. Like you said, square up the blocks and sew them together. I like it better without the sashing.
Old 05-02-2016, 04:14 PM

I think I would square them up and go from there. I am not sure I would use sashing. But then again it would keep from having to line up seams that may not match due to the trimming. I like the colors. It will be pretty when finished and she should be proud to complete it
Old 05-02-2016, 04:49 PM

I would use the squares that are closest to matching for the ones that form the squares (the 5 squares) the others aren't going to be overly obvious if they are a little off.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:26 PM

If you square the solid squares you will have to square up all the blocks to the same size surely? Would it not be easier if the log cabin blocks are 8" to buy fabric to make new solid squares.
I would let the seller know of the omission of sashing. I wouldn't bother to put any sashing on as the pattern looks fine without.
Old 05-03-2016, 06:00 AM

I made that pattern once and found it was surprisingly and unexpectedly forgiving. My blocks weren't perfect, but by the time I put it together you couldn't see any problems when you viewed the whole quilt. I say forge ahead.
Old 05-03-2016, 07:10 AM
Power Poster

It looks fine to me just the way it is.
Old 05-03-2016, 11:30 AM

I don't think I'd split the blocks up. My first thought is just to trim the pieces so they all make the same size block & then just add a wider border. I miscut a bunch of pieces for a quilt I have been recently working on. 9-patch blocks were supposed to finish at 6". Due to using ruler both ways, I had a thin black line I followed one direction & a thick black line I followed the opposite direction resulting in some pieces being off by 1/16" so my blocks were off by as much as 3/16". Most of them were only off by 1/8" so I made them all 5 7/8 by sewing a 3/16" seam on some of the littler ones. It's more work at the start but will get the same design as was intended.

If she's aiming for a certain size, then add 3/8" sashing around the outer edge of the 4-block ... and I probably wouldn't go with white as that would steal all the attention. I'd go with either a darker black (even solid black) or a black & purple print so it looks like its part of the design. The outer row could keep the 1/4" on every block.
Old 05-03-2016, 11:57 AM
Power Poster

I would just take that upper right hand square and square it up. If you use sashing I see no harm. Great looking quilt.