Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Singer 201-2---Advice for cleaning >

Singer 201-2---Advice for cleaning

Singer 201-2---Advice for cleaning

Old 05-10-2016, 03:44 AM

Question Singer 201-2---Advice for cleaning

I picked up a Centennial 201-2 at a thrift store for $10.00 a few weeks ago. No cord or controller and about 40 years of dirt and filth on it. The clear coat and finish seem fine, but I'm having trouble cleaning the caked on dirt off of it.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  
Old 05-10-2016, 05:06 AM

It's a very nice find. The safest way is of course sewing machine oil, and usually the grimiest machine cleans up with persistance and patiences; sacrifice a few of those velvety microfiber cloths, apply sewing machine oil and lots of swirly movments and gentle rubbing should get you far.

I have to admit I have used microfiber cloths, lukewarm water, and even a bit of soap (well wringed up) on machines with the shellac in good condition. I have been lucky and no damage to decals or shine (these were later 1930s and 50s machines). I know they used to recommend wiping off wooden furniture with shellac finishes with a damp goat skin, and I assume microfiber cloths are a good alternative these days. The idea is not to leave any moisture on the finish. I start with the gentlest alternative and advance from there if needed. I have never used anything very harsh, and even the worst of grime have come off.

Shellac is often surprisingly restistant to time and grime, and cleands up very nicely. A resin type car polish will further clean, polish and protect. Swirly movements with car polish should lift up the last remains of dirt. Once cleand and polished a gently wipe is all I have needed to keep my machines clean, I give it polish every other year or so, even less frequent (again, resin type car polish).

Inspite of the dirty and dull surface, your machine looks very nice and not much wear to the surface and decals at all. The shiny metal bits I clean with a cream type metal polish, even rods, parts under the base. I take of needle clamp and presser foot, apply polish to strips of cloths or cotton fabric; I hold on to each end of the strip, wrap it around the bars and rods and pull back and forths. Usually the metal shine up like new.

What I usually do first is lubriate all oil points, and cleaning the feed dogs and bobbin area, take of the face plate, throat plate, bobbin plate, take the bobbin case out. Underneath there are two black caps, each covering a set of meshing gears; I unscrew those (held in place by three screws), clean and oil them. The 201-2 needs to have the upper gears near the motor and hand wheel cleaned and greased.

Last edited by Mickey2; 05-10-2016 at 05:11 AM.
Old 05-11-2016, 03:54 AM

Thank you for the response and advice, Mickey2. The machine decals and finish are in surprisingly great condition. It looks like it sat in a covered shed or garage for years and years. Lots of dirt, and cobwebs, and tons of old lint and dust inside and underneath. It didn't have a cord, but I was able to test it with my mother's 201-2 cord. Of course, it worked and sewed perfectly.

It sounds like persistence, patience, and lots of sewing machine oil will make this jewel shine and purr along again soon! She all ready looks 100% better than she did. I replaced the spool pin, bobbin tire, and I ordered a new cord and controller.
Old 05-11-2016, 05:48 AM

Nice to hear it's cleaning up fine. I noticed you have the version with the two round metal pieces on top, and one is missing. I'm not sure how easy they are to find replacements for. My 201 was missing a spool pint too, the other one was bent. I so emvy you the potted motor version, mine is belt driven :- ) I remember I had a few rounds of cleaning and oiling when I bought mine, replacing bobbin tire and motor belt, sooner or later the motor needs a bit of tending too. The 201 has become a favorite, my most used machine. If you make clothes, there are nice buttonholers for it. It's a joy to sew on this model, mine is is a small table.
Old 05-11-2016, 08:48 AM

Just take your time and use patience when cleaning. Lucky that you "rescued" this machine. I bought an old Singer treadle a year ago, and it needed a good cleaning too. Sylvie's decals are worn from years of sewing, but she cleaned up very well. You scored.
Old 05-11-2016, 09:55 AM

I have one of these machines , but am looking for a potted motor and foot pedal. I took it to be cleaned and oiled, and then when I used it to fill the bobbin it smoked and quit working. I live in Fulton,Ms so anyone know where I can get it fixed. The person who cleaned it can't.
thanks Myra
Old 05-11-2016, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by tuckyquilter View Post
Just take your time and use patience when cleaning. Lucky that you "rescued" this machine. I bought an old Singer treadle a year ago, and it needed a good cleaning too. Sylvie's decals are worn from years of sewing, but she cleaned up very well. You scored.
I couldn't believe it when I saw it sitting on the floor. When I turned it around to look at it, I saw the Cenntenial badge, and the $10.00 price tag, I almost fell over! It turned and moved fine, and I've serviced enough machines to know the cord and control missing is a minor issue.

What at kind of treadle did you get? I have a Singer 66 and a 127 treadle. The 66 just followed me home the week after I found my 201-2.

Last edited by JediMom; 05-11-2016 at 10:36 AM.
Old 05-12-2016, 03:10 AM
Power Poster

Is th caked on dirt brown or black? Brown may b shellac and you should not remove it. See Glenn's tutorial and you can restore it. If it is black it may be melted wire plastic. The machine should be re-wired before you plug it in. It cleans off with naphtha.
Old 05-12-2016, 03:20 AM

I use a tooth brush or hobby paint brush to get in small cracks
Old 05-12-2016, 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Is th caked on dirt brown or black? Brown may b shellac and you should not remove it. See Glenn's tutorial and you can restore it. If it is black it may be melted wire plastic. The machine should be re-wired before you plug it in. It cleans off with naphtha.
It isn't the shellac. It's old dirt. It's cleaned up very well with several applications of SMO. I checked the wiring to the motor, and it is fine. It's old, of course, but no cracks or iffy areas of concern. I bought a new cord and control for it.