Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I can't stop! >

I can't stop!

I can't stop!

Old 05-27-2016, 11:44 PM

Default I can't stop!

Something is seriously wrong with me. I have bins, closets, cupboards and drawers full of beautiful fabric. I have UFOs that I'm still in love with and have every intention of finishing soon. (Even made a schedule.) But lately when I sit down at the machine I always end up sewing together strings, crumbs, and orphan patches from the scrap bin. I've pieced together two quilt tops and have enough blocks for at least two more. Somehow I need to snap out of it and get back to finishing my many UFOs so I can dig into that gorgeous fabric that's calling to me. I told DH that whenever he finds a stray scrap of fabric he has my permission to toss it out. They do seem to multiply when I'm not looking. I could swear that string bucket was almost empty the last time I looked.
Old 05-28-2016, 12:14 AM

You should join us on the UFO Challenge thread on QB...
Old 05-28-2016, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by OhCanada View Post
You should join us on the UFO Challenge thread on QB...
Do you have a link? I can't seem to find it.
Old 05-28-2016, 02:19 AM
Power Poster

It is physically difficult for me to quilt anything larger than a baby quilt and with my disability, I enjoy more of the process of designing and making the top. Pass your scraps on to others who might enjoy using your scraps! Quilting is a hobby, not a chore. We should have fun and enjoy the quilting process!
Old 05-28-2016, 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun View Post
Do you have a link? I can't seem to find it.
Its under Challenges and Contests subforum

rob
Old 05-28-2016, 03:52 AM

It just means that you are in the mood to make "string and crumb" blocks. Just go with the flow. Eventually you'll get back to making up some of those gorgeous things you've started.
Old 05-28-2016, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by justflyingin View Post
It just means that you are in the mood to make "string and crumb" blocks. Just go with the flow. Eventually you'll get back to making up some of those gorgeous things you've started.
What just said. When I was "recovering" from my recent quilting slump, I just sat at my machine and started piecing my 1-1/2" squares together to get back in the swing. It's all quilting, so it's all good!
P.S. I'd love to see pics of your string and crumb quilts!
Old 05-28-2016, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by justflyingin View Post
Nothing wrong with strings and crumbs....just as pleasing and creative as cutting into yardage or using precuts...enjoy the fun of them too.
Old 05-28-2016, 04:23 AM

I try not to buy ahead nor do I cut ahead. An idea pops in my brain or I see something I want to make I try to control myself in buying material until I am half way through the project I am working on. I bought a lot of green material a couple of years ago with an idea in mind for a quilt and I have lost interest. I have all this green fabric and it looks ugly to me now. I am using it up gradually but I hope I have learned my lesson of buying too far in advance. I will sometimes cut my scraps into 2-1/2" squares but mostly I just wait until I am ready to start thinking about the next quilt.
Old 05-28-2016, 06:12 AM

honestly just let the scraps go donate them to a charity and get to making what you want.