Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help~Need to make a twin >

Help~Need to make a twin

Help~Need to make a twin

Old 06-01-2016, 05:01 AM
Power Poster

Default Help~Need to make a twin

When I started this quilt, I didn't consider how large this quilt would be. Just wanted to make this pattern since I first saw it in QW Feb 2009. This fat baby weighs in at 66"x78". I have no extra strips. Any idea how to make it close to 72"x90" with adding a border?? I have no experience with making twin size quilts. THANKS in advance

PS: So large I couldn't get the entire quilt in the photo!
Attached Thumbnails ms-tube-strip.jpg  
Old 06-01-2016, 06:24 AM

If you add a 3 inch to each side and a 6 inch to the top and bottom that will be the size you want.
Old 06-01-2016, 06:40 AM

Very nice quilt!

If you change out the white HST's for another row of the pieced squares along the top & 1 side, then add the white HST's back on, that should get you right about in the neighborhood of where you want to be (79x91)".

If you need that 72" vs. 79", I'd go with single 2" finished strip top & bottom (probably in that navy blue that you used), plus a pieced border all around that "finishes" at 6" (the outer edge will be the raw edge that gets enclosed in your binding so you'll actually stop sewing when it measures 6.25"). For the pieced border I'd either go with smaller versions of the squares, on point surrounded by white, or I'd pick a totally different shape (probably circles, but could be triangles or hexagons or even diamonds turned sideways running in a row). Rather than piecing the border shapes, I think I'd go with just a single fabric for each to really bring out all the beautifully patterned fabrics you use in the quilt.
Old 06-01-2016, 06:47 AM
Power Poster

Very nice. love the colors
Old 06-01-2016, 09:31 AM
Power Poster

OOH! Pretty colors.
Are the 66"x78" dimensions what the current quilt will finish at? If so, as previously mentioned, a 3" FINISHED border on each side and a FINISHED 6" border on the top and bottom will bring you up to the correct size. I would go with white borders and it will make the blocks float.