Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bias Binding--a question (honestly!) >

Bias Binding--a question (honestly!)

Bias Binding--a question (honestly!)

Old 06-12-2016, 03:16 PM

Default Bias Binding--a question (honestly!)

Soooo...I have had a less than productive day. I need to bind a quilt that has a very gentle zigzag edge on two sides. After trying a piece of straight cut binding, I decided it really needed bias binding--something that I rarely use. I went to my Complete Quilter's Guide and read their directions. I then read over notes I had from a recent Guild demo and proceeded to make my 'tube'.

Cut the piece into two triangles--check.
Sew them together on the short sides---check.
Draw lines...ummm...Draw more lines because the first ones were not on the bias but on the straight--okay finally...check. (lunch break)
Line up the two edges and offset by one row....aaand try again....one more time now...yessss!!! and sew--check.
Cut and cut and cut some more (I needed 420 inches)and then press in half and press...you get the idea..but check.

Okay time to sew it on the front of the quilt and it is going on beautifully. Even the gentle zigzag looks perfect--except for the colour....hmmmm....after 2 1/2 sides I realized that I had not auditioned the binding fabric against all the other fabrics it would touch and I really needed a plain creme to set off all the blocks. Time to unsew....sigh...

Okay finally, folks (if you've stuck with me so far) here is my question--Can anyone tell me what the benefit is in going thru all those contortionistic steps to get one continuous piece of binding,rather than just draw the lines, cut the strips and sew them together? I dread going thru this whole thing again tomorrow...
Old 06-12-2016, 03:25 PM

I've never figured that out either, I want to hear the answer. It has always seemed to me to be a lot more confusing than cutting strips.
Old 06-12-2016, 03:26 PM
Power Poster

I cut long strips, then sew them together. I do end up with a fairly large leftover triangle, but that's because I like to have as few seams as possible in the binding.

I never quite understood that process you did. It seemed like more bother than it was worth to try it.
Old 06-12-2016, 03:29 PM
Power Poster

I cut bias this way and join the strips. Fast and easy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PO7iTP1MSsY
Old 06-12-2016, 03:30 PM
Power Poster

I don't do anything elaborate. I fold the fabric once in such a way that I can cut strips the way I normally do -- which is simply to use a ruler or June Tailor shape cut mat, cutting perpendicular to the fold. I join the strips at the sewing machine. It's not necessary to cut thread between joins until you are done. There are some YouTube videos that show how to do this. It's pretty fast, but you do have to pay attention so you do each join correctly. Worst part is ironing the joins open and cutting off dog ears, but even this is easy if you have used a large enough piece of fabric so your strips are long; only a few joins are needed. I usually cut bias strips from a yard of fabric.
Old 06-12-2016, 03:33 PM

I've done it both ways, and I prefer to just cut strips and sew them together. There is more waste than with the two triangle-tube method, but fewer seams, and less hassle (IMO).
Old 06-12-2016, 03:34 PM

I have never attempted the tube method because I found it confusing also, but I have used Bonnie Hunter's method a few times with great results. It doesn't need to be scary...you are just cutting strips on an angle, then sewing together like you would cross cut binding. If you are off a little in the angle, it will still work.

http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2011/...-bindings.html
Old 06-12-2016, 03:36 PM

I have only tried the tube bias binding method once, and that was enough. When I use bias binding I just cut my strips and then sew them together. I rather not have any of the extra stress involved with this tube method.
Old 06-12-2016, 03:47 PM

Using this method (the only one that has ever made sense to me) http://piraterodgers.com/tutorials/cbt/cbt-webpage.pdf will make me over 420" of 2 1/2" bias binding from 28" WOF. I can now make this binding in about an hour including pressing. The pictures and instructions are clear and easy to follow and there is no wasted fabric. This PDF is nine pages but if you don't want to read all of her rationale for using this method, the main instructions are on pages 4-7. Try it, you'll like it.

Last edited by Shelbie; 06-12-2016 at 03:51 PM.
Old 06-12-2016, 05:15 PM

I have used the tube method and then just put the tube over my ironing board and twisted it around as I cut with a seam guide. I have also tried marking it beforehand. After doing both, my preferred, cueing favorite, and most accurate way is to just cut and seam them together. Easy-peasy compared to the tube method.