Yippee I found it!!!

Old 06-20-2016, 07:02 PM

Default Yippee I found it!!!

This morning I was hand sewing a binding onto a small quilt and went to put a new thread in the needle and I was using my new needle threader. Pushed the little button and suddenly the needle went flying. How did that happen? It actually went over my left shoulder and on to the floor into the carpet. I searched for about 15 minutes and my DH said, use another needle, I would find it eventually. But as you can imagine it kept bugging me and I remembered some of you talking about the magnet on the collapsing wand at Harbor Freight, so this afternoon I went over and bought one. (And bought a magnetic ashtray since I was there.)

Waited until after dinner so that I would not rush anything and in a matter of a few minutes I found that flying needle. I am kind of surprised I didn't find more pins, but I do use flowerhead and glass head pins because they are so much easier to find in the carpet.

So I am highly recommending that lovely little gadget to keep in a drawer for these minor emergencies.
Old 06-20-2016, 07:29 PM

I love those little wands for finding pins and needles. My fear is someone will step on it if I don't find it right away.
Old 06-20-2016, 11:03 PM

a pin will give when stepped on, a needle wont. ouch
Old 06-20-2016, 11:05 PM

I wonder why it went flying. Lucky it didn't hit either you or husband.
Old 06-21-2016, 02:50 AM
Power Poster

I bought one of these since I loose pins and needles too often!
https://www.google.com/search?q=Magn...+wand+for+pins
Old 06-21-2016, 03:23 AM

So glad the flying needle missed your eyes and face! I love my magnetic wand and flower head pins. I seldom step on one ( but the whole house knows when I do!) .
Old 06-21-2016, 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO View Post
I wonder why it went flying. Lucky it didn't hit either you or husband.
That little threader gizmo will send a needle flying if the eye is too small or not set in there so that pin can slide thru, or if it's an oval eye...only works with round eyes!..I've had it happen too...but I found the needle right away....so that threader now sits in the "stupid gizmo" drawer.....because I cannot get it to thread the #10 milliners I use for epp
Old 06-21-2016, 04:52 AM

Thanks for your post. I recently bought one of those needle threader things and I love it. I have a project with a lot of embroidery on it with different colors, and it works fine. I will keep your problem in mind, and keep my eye on the needle. I am using a #10 quilting needle and have had no problems (so far) and the eye is very small.
Sue
Old 06-21-2016, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by susie-susie-susie View Post
Thanks for your post. I recently bought one of those needle threader things and I love it. I have a project with a lot of embroidery on it with different colors, and it works fine. I will keep your problem in mind, and keep my eye on the needle. I am using a #10 quilting needle and have had no problems (so far) and the eye is very small.
Sue

Maybe be I bought the wrong brand...which is yours?
Old 06-21-2016, 07:42 AM

Great idea! Thanks for sharing. So far I just search with a flashlight and that seems to work - needles, pins glint with the stronger light.