Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ever go on a Quilting Retreat? >

Ever go on a Quilting Retreat?

Ever go on a Quilting Retreat?

Old 07-07-2016, 04:42 AM

Default Ever go on a Quilting Retreat?

Has anyone gone on a weekend quilting retreat? If so, what did you like (or dislike) about it?

I have seen these online, but have never gone to one.

I had someone wanting to have me do some financial analysis on purchasing a northern property to rent out to quilters. Since the housing market is low where they indicated, the monthly house payment would be very minimal. The house they pitched for me to review has a detached 2.5 heated garage which they thought would be useful to have tables etc. completely set up for quilters. The house has 3+ bedrooms, so a max of 8 people at a time unless converting a basement into another bedroom.

I have no idea what the demand might be. I'd like to assume one group a month, but not sure since I've never experienced one. I'm assuming if the price was low enough there may be interest. I have no clue what to use for a usage basis.

Any thoughts about retreats, or the idea in general?
Thanks much!
Old 07-07-2016, 04:55 AM

Love Retreats. They are great get aways and a lot can be accomplished. Eight people is not a large retreat space. The retreats I have been to usually house about 30. Since you are doing an analysis, I suggest contacting the local Guild and asking if you can post a survey on their website or at a meeting. Every area is different. It's not just price that is a factor. A lot has to do with how things are planned or structured over the weekend. Some bring in nationally known authors and quilters. Others just provide a place for quilting groups to work on their own projects.
Old 07-07-2016, 04:55 AM

I've gone on two; last fall and just a few month ago. They both were at lodges with very large rooms for quilters with tables and padded chairs set up for everyone. There was a open kitchen concept at both places, either in the same room as all the tables or just off for one. Meals were provided. They paid special attention to quilters with food allergies/or avoided foods. Coffee, tea and hot cocoa were always available in the main dining room. We had ~10-15 quilters at each retreat. I liked that all rooms had separate heating and their own full bathroom. I liked how one of them you didn't have to go outside in order to get to the quilting room. Someone was always available if you had issues and you didn't have to hunt them down for linens for the bed. Food choices were very good at one place. Not so much at the other, very carb heavy and you seemed to get all the leftovers at the last meal at one place. Both were very affordable, less than $200, so that was very appealing. Many fabric shops within an hour, so that made day trips inviting too, to break up the sewing! Oh, one even provided ironing boards! Great lighting is necessary too! Windows are a plus as that way you don't feel like you're in a dungeon. Good luck!
Old 07-07-2016, 04:56 AM

Oh, and a nearby bathroom, so quilters can do what they have to do and get back to sewing!
Old 07-07-2016, 04:59 AM
Power Poster

No, I never did and now being disable, I like to be close to home in my own bed.
Old 07-07-2016, 05:17 AM
Power Poster

I go to three or more retreats a year. I gave up the prepare your own food ones. I want meals prepared, no clean up. I also want the option of a private room if no friend is going to room with. A weekend retreat close to home Friday - Sunday with three meals a day plus snacks, 24 hour drink station, nice room for two nights cost me about $350. Check out Roberts Carriage House Retreats. My group goes there once a year for a week. They have the perfect retreat house set up.
Old 07-07-2016, 05:26 AM

Our Guild has 2 retreats a year and we go to a camp that used to be a Dude Ranch in the 70's. This camp is used year round for weddings, church retreats, burn victims camp, family gatherings, etc. It is very large and we stay in cabins. We are about 30-40 that go to each retreat. We sit 2 to a table and learn to work that way. Price $ 275- 395.

We can choose, a private room, 2 person - 4 person cabin. included in the cost are the meals, which is a big plus....no cooking.

Most Guilds will have 1 or 2 retreats a year so you would need to work with guilds 100 - 150 miles around your area to get enough to keep you going and offer it to other gatherings in able to make it financially viable.

We have two retreats areas that our members attend..one is Wonder Valley, Sanger CA. and the other is Hartland Christian Camp in Badger,CA. They provide the space and meals..Wonder Valley provides everything...Hartland you have to take your bedding and beds are more suited for kids but it is also less costly. Our retreat coordinator is the one that plans the activities not the camp.
Old 07-07-2016, 05:54 AM
Power Poster

The house you're describing wouldn't be interesting to me for a quilting retreat, unless there are features that you haven't mentioned. Quilting in a garage sounds dreary, and having to trek to it from the main house in bad weather (hot, cold, or wet) could be a problem for many. Also the number of people it can accommodate is quite low. Most retreat sites that I'm familiar with have more to offer. I would suggest that you work with the numbers, determine how much income the site needs to produce to break even (including taxes, upgrades, maintenance, insurance for this type of use, etc.), and then show how many bookings per year at various price points would be needed to meet this goal. If you can get some input from local guilds that is good, but I think it really is up to the buyers to decide whether they can entice people to come there.
Old 07-07-2016, 06:02 AM

I'm with you on the food issue. I love retreats but am not keen on the ones where we have to cook ourselves.
Old 07-07-2016, 06:46 AM

What Dunster said. Surprisingly, I have nothing to add, she covered it all.