Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you use check lists when you go on a quilting retreat or sew days with your quilting friends so you don't forget anything?

Blog Entries
    I have started a list:

once we get more ideas I will make a list of them in alphabetical order for a check off sheet on my pages to share with all of you

***be sure to have some way to mark your tools with your name, address label, cool bead chains for your scissors, etc.) so you don't loose your items, easy to get mixed up if you share with others ***

Bag to carry your projects in
    Rotary Ruler (or your favorite longer size)
    Rotary Rulers
    Cutting Mat
    Extra Sewing Machine Needles
    (Universal will be fine)
    Fabric Scissors
    Rotary Cutter
    ** be sure to have extra blades with you for Rotary Cutter)
    Seam Ripper (sorry - that might be needed)
    Sewing Machine Attachments
    Sewing Machine Power Cord (you would be surprised at
    the number of ladies that leave home without it!!)
    Sewing Machine you are familiar with and instruction manual (just in case)
    Snips
    Starch or Sizing
    Straight Pins
    Wash-out marker
    Extension Cord
    Iron
    Ironing Board
    Fabrics
    Patterns
    Quilt Books
    Quilt Magazines
    Pincushion
    Light
    Big Zip Lock Bags (a nice way to organize your project) projects!!!
    Notebook and pencil to take notes

(For a Retreat: clothes, personal items
    clothes
    toothpaste and toothbrush
    jacket
    underwear
    bra
    socks
    shoes

Be sure to take money and credit cards so you can buy yourself some gifts, you deserve it!

YES I have to make list these days before I go anywhere. Then pack everythig on the list and mark it off as it goes into suitcase, box, or car as needed. And I still will forget something so add that to the next list when I get home. I keep a master of my list on my pc so I can up date as needed. Even have one for cloths to pack by season and leanth of stay. I know if my head weren'y firmly atached I forget it too! OH YEAH must add pattern and fabric to that list!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Oh my Crafty but you are too organized. LOL. I actually have a Retreat Supplies on wheels ready to go, for classes too. I used to make a list but over the years I have bought double of evrything I Need so I don't have to dig and prepare. That's a great list. I espcially like the retreats to have a store on site like Stitchin Heaven and Compass Centre. We must have been good girl scouts. *H*U*G*S*

Blog Entries
    please share you list with us

Quote Originally Posted by Gramie bj
    YES I have to make list these days before I go anywhere. Then pack everythig on the list and mark it off as it goes into suitcase, box, or car as needed. And I still will forget something so add that to the next list when I get home. I keep a master of my list on my pc so I can up date as needed. Even have one for cloths to pack by season and leanth of stay. I know if my head weren'y firmly atached I forget it too! OH YEAH must add pattern and fabric to that list!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Here's mine: Of course I alter it as I find mnre needs.
    Best press - large bottles
    Extra bobbin holders already filled with colors
    My sewing needle case with all the different sizes and types
    Multi- extension round cord - has 6 plugs
    Omni grid cutting/ironing set
    My machine skirt with pockets and such by F & P
    My thread catcher and a little pop up trash bin
    Fabric markers
    Seam rippers ( I call it my reverser)
    Stiletto
    A box of different colored threads
    My std. rulers
    pincushion
    Brother Quilters Sewing machine
    Collectors can of pins
    safety pins/ quik clips
    Rulers in each of the sizes I have
    Glue sticks ( important)
    Rotray cutters and lots of extra blades ( 2 sizes)
    Cutting board
    Quilting journal for nwe notes of things I learn.

That's my std already in teh traveling case. Then I can always add for special projects.

All ready to go and don't have to pack and unpack. And of course my camera

Blog Entries
    I should try that next time I go to sewing group. I always take too much, or forget the most important tool, or how about the pattern!

Craftybear; I don't go anywhere without my camera! Do you take one with you to retreats?

I am a list maker for any trip/activity. I keep a small bag with essentials that never changes and gets updated and stays ready to pack...batteries, band aids, small flashlight, safety pins, tape, hand soap, tylenol, pens..that kind of stuff.

Yes, I make a list. That is easy to do as I have a card printed out with what I take to local 1 day sew-ins. I also have a basic packing list for my suitcase as I do like to be prepared, like when my daughter needed another surgery. These make my life easier and less stressful.

I always take my own power strip in case of power failure and to prevent my machine from having problems if there is a power surge or whatever.

I do NOT take an ironing board or iron on retreats as the ones I go to specifically say not to due to the power overload. Once someone thought she was above it all and took her own and crowded out others then put it on the rug and burnt the rug!

I take what I need an maybe a bit extra but am careful to keep it such that I don't overflow into someone else's personal space. There are those that take huge tool chests and those that take their own tables. Our facilities just don't have that kind of space and I think it is extremely thoughtless of them to do so.

Do you think I have some prejudices?

ali

ali

You guys are so great! I am going to a retreat in April and will definitely have a list in hand. Last year I kind of stood in the middle of my sewing room looking around for different items. This year I will be so prepared!

THIS IS MY BASIC SEWING TRIP LIST THINGS LIKE ASPERIN COMFEY CLOTHS EASY OFF SCHOES ARE ALL ON MY SUITCASE LIST.

SEWING MACHINE
    SEWING FEET AN ATTACHMENTS
    EX BOBBINS
    EX NEEDLES
    BOBBIN WINDER W/ EX BATTERIES
    LITE W/ EX BULB
    SNIPS, THREAD BAG FOR MACHINE
    PINS AN MAG
    HAND NEEDLES, THREADER
    THIMBLE
    FIRST AID KIT
    SM RULER OR TAPE
    JACK (seam ripper)
    SHARPS DISCARD CAN (for needles, pins, rotary blades )
    OWNERS MANUAL
    POWER CORD
    MULTI HEAD EX CORD
    PAINTER TAPE (secure cords to floor, they will trip me!)
    NON SKID PAD FOR FOOT PEDAL
    MACHINE OIL
    CLEANING BRUSHES AND CLOTHS
    IRON AND SMALL BOARD IF ALLOWED
    PRESSING CLOTH
    DISTILED WATER SPRAY BOTTLE (I do not use steam iron)
    SPRAY STARCH
    SNIPS AND THREAD BAG FOR BOARD
    PIN MAG FOR BOARD
    PATTERN
    FABRIC AN NOTIONS FOR PROJECT
    CUTTING BOARD
    ROTERY CUTTER W/ EX BLADES
    RULERS FOR CUTTER
    FABRIC SHEERS
    MARKING PENS (wash away, or heat )
    THREAD MIN 4 SPOOLS
    CHOP STICKS, TWEEZERS
    SCRAP BAG
    NOTEBOOK AND PEN
    LIST OF QUESTIONS
    ZIP BAGS AND STORAGE BOX FOR PROJECT
    TEA AND LG MUG (for breaks, I learned the hard way NO eating or drinking around projects!)

Blog Entries
    Sounds like some good lists. :)

Blog Entries
    thanks keep your lists going this is so great and I will condense this into a list for all of us to enjoy on my pages, and will post the link here when I get it all done for us, yippppeee another cool project for all of us

love ideas!

foot peddle if needed. I took a class where four ladies forgot theirs.

Doh! (slapping herself on the forehead) 'nonstick pad for foot pedal'... I fight with my foot pedal all the time! Now why have I NEVER thought to put a non-skid mat under it? WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME? That is such a simple solution! Sure am glad for this thread... who knows how much longer I'd have suffered??

GREAT lists, by the way! I'm going to my first retreat in April, so this is very timely. You guys rock!

Great lists...depending on if you applique...I always bring fusible web for fusible applique, and freezer paper (for mock hand applique by machine). If I am going to do some machine quilting, I bring along the paper I use for that (I use examining table paper...have a friend who orders it for me). I always want to make sure I have scissors for cutting fabric and for cutting paper.

Keep the ideas coming!! Not good to leave home without the machine foot control/cord...but my experience has been that if almost anything else is forgotten, there is someone that has what you need and are always willing to help out.

I just LOVE these lists! I go to a yearly retreat, 9 years now, and I invariably forget something. Not because it wasn't on the list, just because DUH! I FORGOT TO PUT IT IN THE SUITCASE!! So put that on the list..... Start with a place to gather everything together and then use the list to pack it all up!

Oh man..ever since I turned 50 I make lists for everything :lol: :lol: :lol: Every trip to the store, every trip anywhere!! What chores need done. What needs done at work, weekly menus, projects, etc. So far I haven't had to make a list of what lists to make :shock: :lol:

Brace yourself momma B that list of list is just around the corner you will see it start to lurk around 55. Ben there done that! LOL Im 61 and proud of it when I can remember what age I am! (snicker)

Yep...checklists are the only way to go. That way I don't forget to go to the retreat!! I mean forget about what to take...I'm just glad when I don't forget about one, and accidentally schedule something else at the same time!!!;)
    k

Quote Originally Posted by mommaB
    Oh man..ever since I turned 50 I make lists for everything :lol: :lol: :lol: Every trip to the store, every trip anywhere!! What chores need done. What needs done at work, weekly menus, projects, etc. So far I haven't had to make a list of what lists to make :shock: :lol:

that would be me 2!!

I try to keep a separate bag to travel with. Need to add a few items from time to time. I always have a bag, you never know when you'll need it. I take a bag along to GD's practices.

I usually make a list of things I need for all occasions, even a "to do" list when I go out since I try to set a day aside for errands (save on gas) and a "trip" list along with my needed documents, trip itinerary, etc. kept in a folder for each trip. I keep all my lists on my computer so I can update as needed. Love the Excel program since I can sort the list by item, store, store location, notes, etc. Keeps me from wandering all over the store and then still not getting something because I don't want to make the trip to the back of the store again. I have a daughter I think tops all - she makes a list of all the lists she has to make. Does anyone else do that?

Thanks Craftybear and everyone who has posted their lists. I'm such a list writer. I have doubles and have things ready to go, but still write a list of extras. (can't forget the snacks) I have a camping list on my computer I print off everytime we camp. Makes it easy to go down the list, pack and mark it off. Never thought to have one for my quilting/sewing things. I'll be working on that this weekend. Isn't it great all the ideas everyone shares on this board.

We came down to Clifty Falls Inn for a couple of days. There were at least a hundred women here for a retreat and if I had just seen your post a little sooner I could have done a survey.;) They were so busy unloading I only got to speak briefly to a couple of them. I needed to get down town to Margie's Country Store(and quilt shop) before they were all ready to shop.hehe Margie's isn't very big but there is a lot of fabric packed in. I was fairly restrained, only bought half price fabric.:)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast