Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Don't Forget the Lipstick When You Sew!!

Don't Forget the Lipstick When You Sew!!

Advice from a Singer Sewing Manual - 1949

"Prepare yourself mentally for sewing. Think about what you are going to do…. Never approach sewing with a sigh or lackadaisically. Good results are difficult when indifference predominates.

Never try to sew with a sink full of dirty dishes or beds unmade. When there are urgent housekeeping chores, do these first so your mind is free to enjoy your sewing. When you sew, make yourself as attractive as possible. Put on a clean dress. Keep a little bag of French chalk near your sewing machine to dust your fingers at intervals. Have your hair in order, powder and lipstick put on. If you are fearful that a visitor will drop in or your husband will come home, and you will not look neatly put together , you will not enjoy your sewing."

I have never been fearful of my husband coming home and seeing me neatly put together or not or even home or not. LOL
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Blog Entries
    Hmm- not sure about the dress or the makeup, visitors- take me as I am, and I am always glad to see my husband come home- preferably early. But- I do feel better about spending the day in my studio if the house is in order. Interesting advice from the era.
    'He cannot be a gentleman which loveth not a dog' -John Northbrooke
    Try to be as nice a person as your dog thinks you are.

Guess it has been around for awhile; even on the quilting board. Although this time pushed to General Chit Chat. Prior posts (before my time) for this were deemed a quilting topic. Here, on Links, with some additional comments, http://www.quiltingboard.com/links-r...a-t192832.html
    And here on Main, http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...a-t196619.html

Am I the only one who thinks to see at a machine IS to quilt?

If I waited for the dishes to be done before commencing to sew(quilt), I would never get to sew!

Still chuckling! Dress?! Not in my closet! The only dress I own is the one I wore for my daughters wedding. Dirty dishes ... urgent housekeeping chores ... not on my list! Times certainly have changed. Thanks for sharing... you've put a smile on my face!
    Live, Laugh, Love & Quilt!
    Weasie

Quote Originally Posted by weasier22 View Post
    Still chuckling! Dress?! Not in my closet! The only dress I own is the one I wore for my daughters wedding. Dirty dishes ... urgent housekeeping chores ... not on my list! Times certainly have changed. Thanks for sharing... you've put a smile on my face!
    Singer would have bee better off using your tag line, "Live, Laugh, Love & Quilt!".

Super Member Luv Quilts and Cats's Avatar
    All I can say is Oh My! Glad I don't have to do any of that just to sew!!! LOL!
    Luv Quilts and Cats
    Never underestimate the healing effects of beauty. - Florence Nightingale

This has been posted before. Thankfully times have changed, for the better in this area.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

My outfit for sewing this winter has been layers and layers of clothing, I sew in the basement. Makeup??? Not going to happen most days
    Debra

Well, now, where in the world is my little bag of French chalk?

Quote Originally Posted by Material Witness View Post
    Well, now, where in the world is my little bag of French chalk?
    Perfect funny!

Lipstick? Not me, I've developed an allergy to it....no kidding! My lips swell up and blister, and itch and ooze, so I think I'll just pass on that one. Thanks anyway for the laugh!
    A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes. ~Hugh Downs
    Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns.I am thankful that thorns have roses.~Allophones Karr
    “The happiest people I know are those who lose themselves in the service of others." — Gordon B Hinckley

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop." ~ Confucius

Blog Entries
    Can someone clue me in - what exactly are "urgent housekeeping chores"?

In our house the rule is if you are coming to see my house call ahead for an appointment but if you're coming to visit us, drop by anytime

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by y.morman View Post
    In our house the rule is if you are coming to see my house call ahead for an appointment but if you're coming to visit us, drop by anytime
    My sentiment exactly. I do have a friend however that is embarrassed if you stop by and there is a coffee cup in the sink, she also feels her house needs to be perfect as sewing is entertainment.
    Happy Quilting
    Judy in Lower Michigan

Sounds like Donna Reed from Leave it to Beaver...........................................

I wonder if the ladies actually did this in those days......

Blog Entries
    I have only worn make up 1 time in my life. I was a bridesmaid in my brothers wedding 45 yrs ago. I was afraid to smile -I knew if I did my face would break into a pile of puzzle pieces. The lipstick made me feel like I had on a pair of those wax lips from a halloween costume. Althou if any of our gentlemen quilters get all gussied up before sitting down to quilt please post pictures : )

Hmmm, I wonder how we should dress to read the Quilting Board? Good thing you all can't see me in my various forms of dress and undress - though that might be good for another laugh!

Quote Originally Posted by yobrosew View Post
    If I waited for the dishes to be done before commencing to sew(quilt), I would never get to sew!
    Me too! All those household chores will just have to wait! I can ignore them just fine, thank you!

Lol! Good thing times have changed. I would have been quite the rebel then!

Power Poster
    Seriously? If I waited until all the dishes were done, the beds made, laundry done and put away, vacuuming, etc., etc. I would never find the time to sew. Not only my husband, by visitors have seen me not neatly put together, in fact after my son was born I had visitors about noon time and I was still in my robe, but then I think I had an excuse of a baby taking up all my time and keeping me up at night. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.d LOL.

So much for the good old days.
    When a dying man asked his pastor "How long does it take to die?" his pastor's heartfelt reply was "A lifetime." Live life to the fullest, but stop now and then to enjoy the sunset.
    Lynda

There was a catalog a year or so ago from one of the places for quilting and in the notion area it showed a thing to hold the foot peddle in place and the woman was wearing heals. I know it was supposed to look professional, but really, who wears heals when they sew? A nice paid of tennis shoes would have been dressy enough for me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast