Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advice from a Singer Sewing Manual - 1949 >

Advice from a Singer Sewing Manual - 1949

Old 08-03-2012, 10:57 AM

Default Advice from a Singer Sewing Manual - 1949

Prepare yourself mentally for sewing. Think about what you are going to do…. Never approach sewing with a sigh or lackadaisically. Good results are difficult when indifference predominates.

Never try to sew with a sink full of dirty dishes or beds unmade. When there are urgent housekeeping chores, do these first so your mind is free to enjoy your sewing. When you sew, make yourself as attractive as possible. Put on a clean dress. Keep a little bag of French chalk near your sewing machine to dust your fingers at intervals. Have your hair in order, powder and lipstick put on. If you are fearful that a visitor will drop in or your husband will come home, and you will not look neatly put together , you will not enjoy your sewing.

What do you think ladies? I must admit I do like to quilt when the chores are done, that way I am more relaxed in my quilting without what needs to be done occupying my mind; but dressing up and wearing makeup should a guest come by………toooo funny!
Old 08-03-2012, 11:06 AM

Now I must admit to having b'fast, showering, and putting on my makeup for the day and doing my hair. Other than that, don't know as attractive as possible, clean dress[have none]. It is funny that they would put it in the manual.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:17 AM

Perhaps I would put it differently. I can't be creative if I think I look frumpy. But I can't be creative if I haven't put on my "working clothes" either. Being creative is a mind-set that I dress to enhance. By the way, when was the last time you noticed your husband dressing to impress you? Perhaps before the honeymoon? LOL! I can't remember just which century that was! The best it gets now is "Will this suit you, or do I need to change?" At least he will change if it doesn't suit me. Thank goodness because I quit doing the only one of us got dressed up to go out for the evening type of thing a long time ago. LOL Now we mostly don't go out for an evening out. Really LOL!! Oh the joys of being married a half century!! (I'm not sure this sharing of secrets made a lot of sense. Oh well. )
Old 08-03-2012, 12:06 PM
Power Poster

I get dress casual nice every day, do my hair and put on face moisturizer and a little make up. It takes the same amount of time to put on nice pants and top as baggy sweats and tees. If I get a notion to go somewhere or get a call to go somewhere all I have to do is get in the car and go. I wouldn't want to see DH in sloppy clothes or unkempt conditioned if he was home all day.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:19 PM

Smile Get permission first...

I'm surprised that their first statement is, "Be sure to get your husband's permission prior to making such a purchase."
That's how sewing was 65 years ago, makes you wonder what it will be like 65 years from now.
Old 08-03-2012, 03:31 PM

I'm always "dressed"...since I retired 6 years ago, I can count on one hand the number of times I have worn something other than blue jeans and a tee or sweatshirt...now, dressing "up" means actually putting on lipstick as well...heh heh!