Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011 >

[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011

[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011

Old 04-01-2010, 11:28 AM
Power Poster

If you are on schedule, then you have done over 50 blocks - great stuff! I'm the same, I can't sit at the machine for long, so I need frequent rests, also I have done almost all the ones with hand applique on them, because I can do that in the evenings in front of the TV.

BTW, I think there is some where in the book that says it took Jane over four years to make hers.
Old 04-01-2010, 02:59 PM

I am in the same boat as Lacelady and unable to work so on good days I sit and sew, so far I am at about 50% of the squares and triangles, I know this will slow right down in the summer cos of DS home from Uni and needing his space back. I wish there was a good compromise! I just give up sewing again.
Old 04-01-2010, 06:53 PM

Did Jane hand-sew it? Did they have sewing machines then? I would imagine they did...but I'm pretty ignorant about the history of sewing machines, and how women back then did their sewing and many of the homemaking chores.
Old 04-02-2010, 02:19 AM
Power Poster

I don't know whether Jane used a machine or not, but they were definitely available:
In the early 1800s, clothing was made by hand, families sewed their pants, shirts, and dresses using a needle and thread. But in 1846 Elias Howe changed all that, he came up with another way to make clothes, he patented the first practical sewing machine..The sewing machine industry based on his original invention made possible the mass production of clothing on a much larger scale than had ever been possible with hand-stitching.
In 1851, Isaac Merritt Singer, a machinist from Boston, Massachusetts, introduced the first sewing machine scaled for home use. Singer's patent (US 10, 975) was issued May 30, 1854. Although Singer’s early machines were based on Howe’s concept, he later patented the rigid arm for holding the needle and a vertical bar to hold the cloth down against the upward stroke of the needle.

Meanwhile Mr. Allen Wilson had developed a reciprocating shuttle, which was an improvement over Singer’s and Howe’s. However, John Bradshaw had patented a similar device and was threatening to sue. Wilson decided to change tack and try a new method. He went into partnership with Nathaniel Wheeler to produce a machine with a rotary hook instead of a shuttle. This was far quieter and smoother than the other methods .

On the other hand, I am of the opinion that if she did hand sew some of the tiny pieces that are in some blocks, she would have only managed to get two or three stitches in them - would they still be holding together after all these years? I don't know. It seems obvious to me that she hand quilted it though, but surely that would be the obvious thing to do, probably on a large frame. If she had a machine, she wouldn't have been able to quilt her quilt on it, because it wouldn't have a big enough space for the quilt to be rolled up under the arm.

Happy Easter to all our Quilt Board Janers - I hope you all get lots of blocks sewn over the weekend.
Old 04-02-2010, 04:27 AM
Power Poster

Thanks for the history lesson Lesley...I haven't studied up on the history of the machine so its interesting to me. I'm like you, I imagine Jane sitting out on the front porch hand sewing blocks. I'm wondering how in the world it is actually quilted though...some of the blocks have so much bulk I know I couldn't hand sew through them...so I wonder...
Old 04-02-2010, 03:07 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sandpat
Thanks for the history lesson Lesley...I haven't studied up on the history of the machine so its interesting to me. I'm like you, I imagine Jane sitting out on the front porch hand sewing blocks. I'm wondering how in the world it is actually quilted though...some of the blocks have so much bulk I know I couldn't hand sew through them...so I wonder...
It definitely looks like hand quilting to me, from the pics in the book. I can only imagine that she stab stitched them, at least through the thicker parts. Does anyone else have any suggestions?
Old 04-02-2010, 03:42 PM
Power Poster

I just know that there is NO way that I can hand quilt mine. I don't really know what I'm going to do with it. I did quilt my Christmas Jane table runner and I did mostly QID...but I also turned it...alot!! I won't be able to do that with this big girl. I'm still trying to figure out what to do. I don't think I want to do this all QID.
Old 04-02-2010, 03:48 PM

I have now got doubts about whether to use white sashing or to use another say sand or light brown colour, oh why do we keep getting gremlins in our quilting thoughts? There is just too much choice! Happy Easter to everyone!
Old 04-02-2010, 03:49 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sandpat
I just know that there is NO way that I can hand quilt mine. I don't really know what I'm going to do with it. I did quilt my Christmas Jane table runner and I did mostly QID...but I also turned it...alot!! I won't be able to do that with this big girl. I'm still trying to figure out what to do. I don't think I want to do this all QID.
Do you mean you machine quilted it in the ditch? Yes, that would require a lot of turning. I just know that I can't afford to get it done by a long armer here, they are much more expensive than in the USA. And no, I don't fancy posting it to the USA either - If it got lost in the post, I would be devastated, after all this. And Jane didn't just QID, she quilted her little blocks all over the place. Would that be because she used just combed cotton as batting, do you think?
Old 04-02-2010, 04:15 PM
Power Poster

I have no idea Lesley...I wonder..did it take her 4 yrs. to piece the blocks or to piece AND quilt? Well...as I've said before, she was either amazing...or crazy. Sometimes now, I lean more towards "crazy"... :lol: :lol: I don't think I could even stab stitch mine...the blocks themselves are bulky not to mention what it will be like with batting and backing!

Sarah...I'm going for sashing in a dark brown...almost black...that is IF I can find just the right color. I haven't bought it yet. Well, I'll just say thats the "plan" for right now, althoug its subject to change!