Charity - - -

Old 10-06-2016, 11:01 AM
Power Poster

Default Charity - - -

What do you consider "good enough" to give/use in a charity quilt?

Or to put it another way - what WON'T you use/give in a charity quilt?

(An acquaintance of mine said that her church group once received fiberglass curtains in a bag of stuff to be used for charity quilting.)
Old 10-06-2016, 11:42 AM
Power Poster

I only give to charity quilting what I would want to use myself. Any fabric not suitable for charity quilts, I give to the second hand stores that can be used for other things.
Old 10-06-2016, 12:58 PM

I do not give charity quilts that I would not give to anyone else (including myself). If I wouldn't want/use it, why do I think someone else would. That reminds me of some missionary friends we have. She told me once that the strangest thing she received in a donation box was some "used teabags". Try figuring that one out!
Old 10-06-2016, 01:58 PM
Power Poster

I use materials I would use in any quilt for myself/ any loved one , friend or gift. I do not use ( substandard) materials because I'm donating it.
Old 10-06-2016, 02:11 PM

Well, my personal policy is to accept all donations and then edit out the "stuff" that is not appropriate to what I'm working on. If the 'stuff' is still useful, but in another setting, then I re-gift it to other charity's that want them.

And, yes, some gifts are thrown away because they have been worn or battered to the end of the line for them.
Old 10-06-2016, 05:52 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

We do not use anything but cotton in our guild's charity quilts. IF I were making quilts for the homeless, I might use other, heavier fabrics that would wear well and wash easily in any manner.
Old 10-06-2016, 06:31 PM
Power Poster

I give away quilts made with fabrics I have in my stash. I donate, give to friends, kids, grandkids, and great grandkids. I only use new fabrics and battings. I love to make quilts but, I can't use them all. Everybody I know and lots I don't know have some of my quilts. If they meet my standards and approval they are good to be given away.
Old 10-07-2016, 03:23 AM

I have made many charity quilts and I make them just like I make quilts for my DGC. I don't like ugly quilts so I would never just throw stuff together to make a quilt. I am rethinking how to make charity quilts for the homeless, I think the fabric would need to sturdier, like denim. So far, my fabrics in charity quilts are always cotton.
Old 10-07-2016, 03:36 AM

"Charity" quilts.....do you give personally or through your guild or national organization sponsored. Are these given "from the heart" or deducted as a business expense.....just wondering.....
Old 10-07-2016, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
"Charity" quilts.....do you give personally or through your guild or national organization sponsored. Are these given "from the heart" or deducted as a business expense.....just wondering.....
I deduct any fabrics & batting I buy on my income taxes.
The charity quilts I make are given through 2 organizations that I make them for/with. #1 is "The Linus Connection", the quilts go to in-need children, #2 is Thank You Quilters, the quilts go to wounded warriors at Fort Hood Army base in Texas
Sharon in Texas