Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hexie question >

Hexie question

Hexie question

Old 10-22-2016, 12:58 PM

Default Hexie question

I'm wondering if anyone has tried the mylar templates for EPP? I saw a GFG on pinterest where they only tacked the corners but did not sew to the paper and I'm thinking mylar (or a template plastic) would work in the same manner preventing having to continually buy more as with paper pieces. Also they can maybe be ironed so as to make a crease, then take out the template and use starch to iron the edges down and maybe zig zag on the mahine. I'm thinking of trying this with large hexies to use for a backing where I join seams. Does anyone have any thoughts on the matter? I've never used this type of plastic before and don't know what would work or not work with it. Thanks!
Old 10-22-2016, 01:03 PM
Power Poster

If you want to iron on the plastic, they would need to be heat resistant or the plastic will shrink.
Old 10-22-2016, 01:20 PM

I haven't used them but I'm interested in the feedback you receive. Where have you seen them?
Old 10-22-2016, 02:07 PM
Power Poster

Just a note here. You don't sew through the paper when doing EPP. Just catch the corners as you fold the seam allowance over whatever template you use. When you join the pieces together you just catch the fold with a whip stitch or ladder stitch. There is no need to sew to the paper. Paper can be reused several times before it wears out.

Using mylar is a good? and will be looking for an answer to this.
peace
Old 10-22-2016, 02:26 PM

I have used plastic pieces instead of paper for making tumbling blocks (60 degrees diamond pieces)- and I just tacked the intersections. I bought them from Brandy's Mylar Pieces. They are wonderful! But too expensive for me to use them for hexagons - I needed too many of them.
Old 10-22-2016, 04:39 PM

I have bought heat resistant (I think it was called) template plastic from Joann's with coupon. I got it in the quilting area with the quilting tools. I used it for applique shapes that I cut out and turned the edges with starch and ironed down. The plastic did not shrink, but I did get the iron too hot, or held it too long on the plastic with fabric to dry the starch and it buckled or rippled slightly. I probably had steam too as I always have water in the iron. If you use the lower setting it probably wouldn't do that. I am just always in a hurry. You can get a sheet for a couple dollars with a coupon. Worth a try. That is what I am going to try when I make this one: https://nightquilter.com/tag/modern-hexies-mini-quilt/

Also, years ago, I think it was Sewing with Nancy, but could have been Kaye Woods, or one of the others. She made a GFG, sewing the hexies together on the machine by zigzag.
Old 10-23-2016, 01:41 AM

Default Brandy's templates

I've been reusing these for over twelve years and love them. I make the hexie and spray starch with the template still in place. Makes a nice crease, then I pop them out and reuse them. Every hexie is perfect. I have made dozens of 5o"x70" quilts to give away and 4 queen-size quilts for my family

http://www.brandysquiltpatterns.com/
Or call Charles at 870.343.5005

they have tons of shapes and sizes and I've even had them make a special size and shape for me.
Old 10-23-2016, 03:32 AM
Power Poster

I learned EPP using the Mylar templates so have never sewn through my papers- learned to tack the corners around the template and have always done it that way regardless of template material ( Mylar, cardstock, paper, plastic, freezer paper, etc.) the Mylar templates are more expensive but I've had the ones I first purchased for 14 years now. My paper pieces from paper pieces.com are almost that old & still used over & over.
Old 10-23-2016, 03:48 AM

I also love the Mylar templates from Brandy's. I've been EPPing for 5 years and have been teaching EPP for 2 years. I have templates in 3 hexagon sizes and 2 60* diamond sizes. I love how my needle glides against the Mylar when basting, and also when whip stitching the pieces together. They make the most satisfying little 'pop' sound when you pull them out. My Mylar pieces have made 5 large quilts and numerous class projects and are all as good as new.
Old 10-23-2016, 04:17 AM

I've been on here for a long time & I have a pattern for hexies. For a 6" hexie take a 6 1/2" sq & fold it in half & fold in half again.(opposite way) Draw a round line from one corner to another & cut on line. It make a perfect 6" circle. Mark the middle & fold one side to the middle (wrong side) & take a tiny stitch to anchor. Finger press along the side and bring the point to the middle & tack down to first point & do this all around for a perfect hex. Sounds like a lot but you can do one in about a minute. No template, plastic, no paper. It's so easy & you can make any size you want. Just cut your sq 1/4" larger than the size hex you want.