Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to store quilts >

How to store quilts

How to store quilts

Old 10-19-2016, 07:12 AM

Default How to store quilts

I have many quilts, mostly queen size, and no pace to store them. I did purchase two small quilt cabinets but they hold three at most and I have to take them out every so often to 're-fold them. I only have one guest bed and each time I lay them on top someone comes to stay. I thought of putting them under the bed but I would still need to fold some. Help
Old 10-19-2016, 08:54 AM
Power Poster

I picked up a cardboard carpet roll from a furniture store. They gave it to me free but I did need the truck to bring it home. I wrapped a sheet around it first and then rolled several quilts around it. I then used another sheet rolled around the outside and secured each end with an elastic band kind of like a giant tootsie roll. It stands up in the corner of my spare room closet. Here is a picture and I will now put it back in the closet.[ATTACH=CONFIG]560544[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  
Old 10-19-2016, 09:00 AM

I have one hanging over the banister at the top of the stairs. I change it out every few months. There are three that I rotate out. Yes, I do have to fold and unfold, but it's only once every 3 - 6 months. I need to get one hung on the wall in the spare bedroom and that would eliminate one.
Old 10-19-2016, 09:14 AM

Could you layer them on the bed in the guest room....one on top of the other? That way they wouldn't have to be folded & you could just scoop them all up at once when someone came to stay overnight.
Old 10-19-2016, 09:45 AM

I do the same as Tartan. Except if you don't have a roll, a pool noodle with a strong rod (slightly longer) in the middle of it works well. Look at the space above your closet. It's maybe a foot high above the top frame. If you put a curtain rod holder or large hook on each side, you can just set the ends of the rod into it on the INSIDE of your closet. It's a great unused space for quilt hanging.
Old 10-20-2016, 03:37 AM

I put mine in a large vacuum bag. Is this bad for the quilt?
Old 10-20-2016, 03:59 AM

I think a vacuum bag is fine for short term storage such as for travel, but quilts need to breathe. Plastic doesn't allow for air circulation.

This summer we transported 75 fleece blankets in the car on a 2 day trip. They were prepped for my mom to make for Project Linus. With everything else we were taking, I don't think we could have gotten that fleece in the car without those "space saver" vacuum bags.
Old 10-20-2016, 06:30 AM

I recently read about folding quilts on the diagonal, so you're not repeating the same folding lines each time. This is what I do now.
Old 10-20-2016, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
I recently read about folding quilts on the diagonal, so you're not repeating the same folding lines each time. This is what I do now.
Good idea!
Old 10-20-2016, 10:31 AM

Default storing quilts

I store my quilts in muslin pillowcases (large ones) that I made for this for this purpose. I do not fold them. I heard on a quilting tv show to never fold quilts. They should be bunched all up and put into the pillowcases. That way they never have fold marks. You should still take them out maybe once a year and re-bunch them. Depending on the size of quilts I can sometimes get 2 or 3 in a pillow case. This is so much easier than folding. I store all the filled pillowcases on a shelf in my closet.