Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My first toe strangler. >

My first toe strangler.

My first toe strangler.

Old 11-07-2016, 02:17 PM

Default My first toe strangler.

That's what my mom called someone's quilting if the stitch size didn't meet her approval. She's gone now, but I wonder what she would say about the 'big stitch' popularity. This is my first one...I like the look but not doing it. I have strived so many years to make the smallest stitches I can, and these big ones take concentration. My hand quilting is just "get into the rocking rhythm and it becomes a mindless activity. I can solve all the world's problems while in my rocking chair with my hoop in my lap.
This good sized scrappy lap quilt will be a donation to the nursing home. My question is...is there any kind of danger to the recipient from the big stitches--is this enough quilting to hold it all together?? BTW, I'm using a dark plaid cotton flannel for backing--I like the looks of the back--but neglected to make a pix of it.[ATTACH=CONFIG]561800[/ATTACH]Thanks for any advice.
Attached Thumbnails img_0838.jpg  
Old 11-07-2016, 02:33 PM

I really don't know the answer to your question, but I don't think your stitches would be any kind of a problem. I really admire anyone who hand quilts, and I love the look of yours!

Dina
Old 11-07-2016, 02:42 PM

My mother used to call them big stitches "Cow Steps". I'm sure she would make me take them out and do it over.
Old 11-07-2016, 03:12 PM
Power Poster

​Looks good to me! I have seen crochet granny square lap quilts at the nursing home and they have holes so your quilt will be fine.
Old 11-07-2016, 03:15 PM

It'll be fine. As long as the stitches are tight, I don't think big vs. tiny matters except to one's personal sense of aesthetics. I like the look of both (not in the same project, but I'm not a stickler for tiny stitches nor judge big ones).
Old 11-07-2016, 03:41 PM
Power Poster

Yous stitches look really good. They are consistent and even and won't be a problem at the home. Zozee is right on the money.

A lovely quilt and I have three of those fabrics in my stash!
peace
Old 11-07-2016, 04:06 PM

Nice job. It looks great. Is it a lot faster than regular hand quilting? I am preparing a lap quilt for big stitch quilting. Like you, i am trying to overcome years of small stitch training. Those training tapes subconsciously run like rule videos in my mind. Many household and yard tasks have to be done a certain way because the training tape says so. I love the look of big stitch. Your quilt is lovely. I hope I can make stitches as even as yours are. My mother called big stitches toe snaggers--in fact she still does and she is 102 years old.

Last edited by Genden; 11-07-2016 at 04:08 PM.
Old 11-07-2016, 05:13 PM
Power Poster

These are nice. There are many quilters who use the big stitches now.
Old 11-07-2016, 07:41 PM

I'm working on my first 'big stitch' quilt now as well. Yes, the years of training myself for all those nice tiny stitches are hard to break. My version of 'big stitch' isn't quite as large as yours. I'm also using perle cotton vs hand quilting thread. I'm liking the look for this particular baby quilt. And it's going much more quickly than my normal hand quilting. I'm hoping to get this one done in another few evenings!

I don't think I'd like this style on most quilts but it is fun on this one. DH's comment was 'you can actually see the stitches on this one'.
Old 11-07-2016, 08:19 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

We need to realize that big stitch quilting doesn't mean galloping stitches.
If you can measure 4-5 stitches (on top of quilt) to the inch, you're good to go. Allowing some space between stitches, 4-5 stitches per inch are really about 1/8" long....and that is really not a toe catcher! I've been doing this particularly hand quilting for 20 years and have never had anything catch in my stitches or had any come out "because they are so big."

Jan in VA