Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Does anybody use an 'open toe' satin stitch foot for quilting?????

Izy
    Hi everyone, I am getting on fine with the quilting of my first quilt, and have discovered by trial and error that it is soooo much easier to 'in the ditch' and echo quilt with this open toe foot, feed dogs up and foot pressure on 1. I haven't had any trouble with shifting, shearing or puckering (well not much - more down to my inexperience, as I am improving the more I do lol!!)and I make sure that I hold the fabric with an even tension etc., and it seems to work better for me, as I can see clearly where I am going. While the walking foot is great for straight lines, I was having difficulty 'seeing' where I was going, and couldn't seem to guage if I was 'in the ditch' especially on the applique blocks in which some were very fiddly. Anyway, just thought I would share this with you, I have posted some closeup pictures for you to see for yourselves.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Oh yeah that looks good!

I'm with you... if I cna't see where I am stitching ( walking foot) I can't quilt at all.

Thanks for the tip!

Blog Entries
    i often quilt with the open toe foot, too. it works best for me if my batting is cotton. i tried it on polyester batting the other day. dizzzzzzzzzzaster. even though i had basted the heck out of it ... every inch and a half! :shock:

yes. i'm blaming the foot. that's my story and i'm stickin' to it. :lol:

those are some pretty impressive points, by the way. :wink:

I bought the quilting set of feet and the one your using was also in it.....I haven't tried that one yet. I have a real funny looking thing they call a ditch foot........I really like your quilt :D

Blog Entries
    Beautiful quilting, looks professional to me :D I agree with Patrice, good job on the points :D

I don't really do the quilting myself. The most I'll do is in the ditch.

I get frustrated with quilting. I'm resigned to leaving that to the pros.

I have a lady that quilted three quilts for me and she is worth every penny. I give her mediocre things and she transforms them into unbelievable quilts.

Blog Entries
    I do that with an open toe also. I hate..hate...hate my walking foot :cry:

Looks like whatever you are doing...its working!!! Great job!

Blog Entries
    I use the open-toe foot for piecing, because you really can see what you're doing. I use an edge-stitching foot for stitch-in-the-ditch. Pfaff machines don't need a 'walking' foot - the even-feed is built in. That's why I bought my first Pfaff. It works with almost every foot, and you can do fancy stitches as wide as your machine stitches, which a walking foot doesn't do. When I had a different sewing machine that required a walking foot, I hated the walking foot, too!

JoanneS

Izy
    Thank God I am not alone, thought twice about posting this thread, as I thought the 'quilt police' would be after me tee hee!!, Thanks everyone for putting my mind at rest. I have done all the curves and chains on my sashings with it too, as there is enough movement for you to swing your quilt around alittle at a time. I also use this foot for applique and do you know....after speaking to you gals, I wonder if you can use it to free motion......watch this space, I will post piccies of the results - good or bad!!!!!! lol!!

Thanks again for all your positive comments :) :) :) :) :)

Izy
    Ruth, thanks for your compliments, there is another thread in which there is a whole lot of pictures and stuff about my first quilt, called something like, Do you want to see some progress, in the pictures sections, if you would like to see more of it. :) :)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Izy
    Thank God I am not alone, thought twice about posting this thread, as I thought the 'quilt police' would be after me tee hee!!, Thanks everyone for putting my mind at rest. I have done all the curves and chains on my sashings with it too, as there is enough movement for you to swing your quilt around alittle at a time. I also use this foot for applique and do you know....after speaking to you gals, I wonder if you can use it to free motion......watch this space, I will post piccies of the results - good or bad!!!!!! lol!!

Thanks again for all your positive comments :) :) :) :) :)
    We threw the Quilt Police outta here waaaaaaaaaaaaay back in the beginning. Let them give each other ribbons and leave us alone. :lol:

given all the experience you have with the open toe, you might get it to work in freemotion, but i'm afraid it didn't work well for me when i tried it.

i also have mixed feelings about walking feet. i often have the same problem ruth described in another post. (leeeeetle bitty stitches)

by the way, ruth, if yours is like mine, that ditch foot is great! when i take the time to use it, the difference it makes is phenomenal. just do some practice sandwiches first (from each project) to figure out the best position for the little thingy and your needle. that will vary by a thread or two depending on your fabrics and batting.

Izy
    Patrice, put me out of my misery, please post a picture of the little 'thingy' foot I might have one and not realise what its for lol!!

I really appreciate you sharing your wisdom, its so enlightening - thanks again Patrice!! :) :) :)

These pictures show one of my attempts at quilting, I used the open toe foot. The centre pattern was stitched over tracing paper (which I copied the design through) then ripped it away, then I just echo'ed around and around, just spying the previous line of stitching in the top left corner of the open foot, which came out not bad. You do have to keep turning your quilt though, but I liked the effect for a beginner. :)

Very, Very nice!
    Wish I could machine quilt that good!

Izy
    Tirnhi, I hadn't done any until a few weeks ago, try it with one of this open toe feet I keep going on about, if I can do it so can you girl!! :) :) :)

now I see my problem, I'm not using my feet! I was trying to use my hands! LOL, OK I have a LOT of feet that I have no idea what they were designed for so haven't tried them for anything, yours looks very familiar, maybe I'll be checking some of them out. The quilt I'm working on now is for ME. I divided it into several big pieces so that I can bring it to work with me and quilt as you go by hand, the small pieces should be easy to manuver under the machine so I think I'll give it a try. It took me a year to get it pieced and quilting by hand will probably take at least 2 more, :shock: I don't have time to read everything or comment a much as I'd like but I do keep track of the picture section, I love "knowing" so many talented people!
    This is better than a magazine because we get to see a lot of these projects as they develope. I'll try to post pictures of mine in progress as I'm open for suggestions on designs since each section will be different.

Oh, so THAT'S my problem!
    I'm using my hands and not my FEET!
    UGH!! Who woulda thunk??

Izy
    Kathy, I understand completely, i can be on here for hours as checking out everybodies threads is so riveting....guess that's down to our nature as quite evidently we all suffer from the same problem.......I am thinking fabric........... notions.....machines........storage containers.......cardboard for templates......shall I go on lol!! If there is anything for chucking out, my immediate thought is....could I reuse that for my something....so now I have become a terrible hoarder as well. :lol: :lol: :wink: :roll:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Izy
    Patrice, put me out of my misery, please post a picture of the little 'thingy' foot I might have one and not realise what its for lol!!

I really appreciate you sharing your wisdom, its so enlightening - thanks again Patrice!! :) :) :)

The centre pattern was stitched over tracing paper (which I copied the design through) then ripped it away
    thanks for the compliment, Izy. i'm sure you've noticed there are many here who are even wiser. i learn something new every day. :P

that stitching over the pattern on paper is the only way i can machine quilt anything but the ditch. i don't trace mine, though ... i print it using the computer on lightweight paper. the open toe works great for that.

i'm still at work. won't be home for another 2.5 hours. i'll photograph some of my favorite feet for you when i get home.

try looking in your machine manual. they usually explain what each foot is for and how to use it. [NOTE TO KATHY: the manual is that flippy floppy paper thing that came with your machine. has writing on the pages and little pictures and everything. i know you got at least one because one of your machines is just like one of mine. :roll: :wink: :lol: ]

Izy
    Well its 11.30pm here Patrice, so time for bed, as I have my 'full day' quilting class tomorrow, so gotta be up bright and bushy tailed in the morning!! Thanks again for your advice, will check out my manual, but its not very informative - Janome 9000, but could go on the website ....looking forward to the photographs :) :)

WOW :!: :!: :!: :!: Definitly impressive. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: And an A++++. Pam W.

I have just begun to machine quilt, but so far I don't mind my walking foot. In fact, I tried to free motion quilt and it was a disaster! So, I liked the walking foot a lot better. My stitches don't come out tiny with my walking foot. Although, I did have a problem with a few puckers on the back.

Question - what is the best method to tie off the ends?

Also, in the BEAUTIFUL design above, how do you machine quilt that when it isn't a continuous line?

You people are my quilting angels by the way!!

Blog Entries
    Izy, looks like the open toe is working like a charm for you! I trace my designs and quilt over them just exactly like you did. I haven't done any of the echo stitching though. My problem with that is I didn't have my backing smooth enough on my last quilt to do it...it would have bunched up and wrinkled. Yours looks great though!

Blog Entries
    I have two favorite feet for quilting in the ditch. They each have a "thingy" that lines up in the ditch and pushes the fold enough out of the way that, when you get it straight, the stitches disappear. Neither one takes very much practice.

(1) There's the "official" in-the-ditch foot: (photo of mine below) (link to a description and list of instructional files: http://www.sewingmachinesplus.com/P60702.php ) This foot works very well, but it can be a bit difficult to see where the needles is going in when you want to position it at the beginning of a "run". This one works best when the fold (press) is to the left.

(2) The second foot, which is supposed to be for blind hemming, works even better. It's easier to see the needle, and you can adjust the position of the little "thingy". It works equally well, whether the fold/press is to the left or to the right. I haven't tried it yet, but i'll bet it would be helpful when trying to line up for machine applique, or for blanket stitching. here's a link to a photo of one like mine and instructions. http://www.sewingmachinesplus.com/presser-foot-janome-blindhem.php

I have this walking foot: http://www.sewingmachinesplus.com/singer-even-feed-walking-foot-006185008-p.php

I also have this one: http://www.sewingmachinesplus.com/pd60-421333-S.php

sometimes they help, sometimes not. i use the first one most often because it's easier to put on. They're both fairly easy to line up for a 1/4" seam, and both can be used with a zig-zag or decorative stitch. my biggest complaint is that they're so noisy. all that clacking drives me nuts.

my freemotion quilting stinks out loud, but i get the least hideous results with this foot: http://www.sewingmachinesplus.com/darning-foot-4021-L.php (the rest is practice and determination. i'll get the hang of it someday ... maybe in the next 100 years or so. :lol: ) seriously, it's the only one i've tried that i've managed to produce something that didn't go straight into the trash.

when i bother to use a 1/4" foot, i use either one like this: http://www.sewingmachinesplus.com/singer-foot-386005-p.php
    or a clear plastic one (i can't get a good photo, and can't find one like it online.) i've just ordered this one: http://www.sewingmachinesplus.com/P60498.php (it has the benefit of the extra wide platform that covers the feed dogs completely, plus it's see-through so i'd know where the fabric is. i don't see why it wouldn't work on my machine. it looks like a universal snap-on to me. i'll let you know if it's any good.)

99% of the time, though, i use my favorite all-purpose foot for piecing. (similar to this, but i've never found another one exactly like it: http://www.sewingmachinesplus.com/685502008.php) after all these years, i know exactly where to feed the fabric (lined up with the little groove) and set my needle to get the 1/4". i just play with the others to experiment.

Izy, I love the colors, the prints, and ESPECIALLY the quilting!!! Beautiful job. Is that trapunto? or did you use a thick batting? You've done everything right on this quilt. Please post pictures of it completed. Thanks for sharing. Virginia

Izy
    Thanks Patrice for all this advice and details you have painstakingly provided for me, I am going on a vacation tomorrow back to the U.K. to see my family, so no quilting for me.....(how will I survive??????)

Anyway, on my return I will study your message in great detail, and look forward to catching up with everyone on my return.

See ya all soon,

Izy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast