Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ellen's Best Press and storing quilt tops >

Ellen's Best Press and storing quilt tops

Ellen's Best Press and storing quilt tops

Old 11-14-2016, 02:48 PM

Default Ellen's Best Press and storing quilt tops

I am making a quilt called "Jelly Roll Jam" (video at Fat Quarter Shop). The quilter uses starch when pressing quilt sections. I am only piecing the top now; I will not quilt it until later this winter (I live in CO -need I say more?). I read that one should not store quilts (and, therefore, I assume, quilt tops) that have been starched unless they are washed because of attracting silver fish. Since I am using pre-cut jelly roll strips, the fabric has not been washed. My question are these: I understand Ellen's Best Press spray will not attract bugs, so (1) can I use this product and store my quilt top for later quilting? and if I do so, (2) will it cause deep creases in the quilt top while stored that will be hard to iron out when I begin quilting? [A quilter I know says she doesn't use anything, ever; in reading about this online, I've just become more confused than ever!].

I am basically a novice quilter (I've mastered rag quilts, though -I think), so please forgive my ignorance.

Thanks for any advice!
Old 11-14-2016, 02:51 PM

Best Press Is starch.

Have you considered using sizing instead?

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-30-2018 at 05:36 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 11-14-2016, 03:17 PM

If you store your top sealed in an airtight bag, you shouldn't have any trouble with silver fish. Or any other bugs.
Old 11-14-2016, 03:22 PM
Power Poster

Starching, like pre-washing, is a personal preference. Some folks starch nothing, some starch if there are a lot of bias edges, some starch everything. As you make more quilts, you will see what works for you and you can decide how to use starch in future quilts. BTW, there are no 'rules' in quilting. If you hear about a new technique, try it and if it works for you, continue to use it.
As to the bug issue, I personally think this is a regional problem. If you have had problems with silverfish in the past, then I would be worried. If you've never seen a silverfish in your house, storing a quilt for a couple months shouldn't be a concern.
A partially finished top, starched or not, should be stored in a way to minimize creases (if possible). Again, storing a completed top for a couple months is not going to cause creases that won't come out.
Old 11-14-2016, 03:55 PM
Power Poster

Unless you have actually seen silverfish in your house, I wouldn't worry about starch. I would recommend storing in a plastic tote with gripper handles.
Old 11-15-2016, 10:03 AM

Okay. So what, exactly, is "sizing"? I read a little bit about it, but I thought it was more for clothing?
Old 11-15-2016, 10:08 AM

I think I saw may one silverfish months ago, but basically I don't have a problem. I do have a plastic container with a lid that I store my fabrics in, and I have a new one for quilt tops, so it sounds like I would be okay to use this product.

Thanks for your advice!
Old 11-15-2016, 10:23 AM

Thank you for your advice. I think I'm going to just go ahead and follow the advice of the instructor in the video (although she used Faultless Premium Starch instead of Ellen's Best Press). This quilt will ultimately be donated to someone in need, as will most of my quilts, as I progress in this adventure. I made one quilt back in the 70s, and when I saw that a church I've been attending had a quilter's group, I joined them. There are 8-10 quilters, and until recently I am the least experienced. This did not matter to them! They welcomed me with open arms, claiming that my lack of experience is seen as a positive because I have fewer bad habits to break. I started out making rag quilts, and I'm good at that now, but I have "graduated" to "real" quilting, or at least I am trying to! I've completed one quilt top that turned out nicely (no, I didn't use any kind of starch), so I am venturing onward!

Thanks for your advice and encouragement!
Old 11-15-2016, 10:23 AM

Okay. I do have a plastic tote for just this purpose.

Thanks for your advice!
Old 11-15-2016, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by mountainwoman View Post
Okay. So what, exactly, is "sizing"? I read a little bit about it, but I thought it was more for clothing?
https://americandrycleaner.com/artic...rch-and-sizing

You can use sizing in place of starch to help press wrinkles out and stiffen the fabric.

Does the quilter in the video explain why she's starching the quilt sections? I'm not sure you really need to.